PDA

View Full Version : Texture UV Rotation shearing

NRG-Alpha
03-01-2007, 07:36 AM
Ok.. I'm alittle stumped on this one.

I am currently unwrapping a mesh. Now typically, when you select a polygon island in the texture editor and rotate it, it rotates as it should. In this case however, instead of the island rotating properly, it ' shears / distorts ' as it rotates.

My initial suspicion was that perhaps there was some mesh scaling that I have applied during its construction. So I froze not only the scaling, but the entire transforms. This doesn't seem to helping out too much. I even completely collapsed my stack (not that I needed any live operators anymore). So with a collapsed stack as well as all transforms frozen, polygons still won't rotate properly. Anyone ever have this problem and know what the remedy would be?

Cheers,

NRG

***** Edit - I think I may have found the problem, which seems to stem from the dimension of the clip I am using, which is a 1024X512. If I go into the clip menu, and I select noIcon_pic clip, or None, then the polygon islands rotates as it should. So I guess I should refine my issue and ask if there is a way to make any rotations maintain their proper aspect ratios during free rotations when dealing with elongated texture clips (such as 1024X512)?

I ask this because there are two types of rotations.. a 90 degree ClockWise or 90 degree Counter ClockWise rotations, and another set of 90 degree CW AND CCW (maintain aspect ration) rotations.. using the 90 degree 'maintain aspect ratio' rotations work even in a non perfect square clip.. so is there a way to use the 'freehand' rotation (non 90 degree rotations) while keeping apsect ratios intact? - End Edit *****

huskerdude
03-01-2007, 07:56 AM
If you want to preserve the aspect ratio whilst rotating uvs, try holding down the alt key as you rotate...

Julian

J-Bradley
03-01-2007, 07:57 AM
Heya NRG_Alpha

Its bin a while since I've encounerd this problem, I've had the same problem with mesh objects themselves that when you rotate they skew.
If your using 3DSmax try resetting the X-forms you might have to do it twice.
That resets all the transforms for the object so it might stop the UVs
This works for meshes that are skewing, so maybe for the UVs too.

If your using anyother app im not sure what the equivalent would be.
As i said I've only encounted the problem once so I dont know if it will solve the problem
maybe I should write down theses things :hmm:
I'll keep thinking about it though.

Joel

NRG-Alpha
03-01-2007, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the fast responses guys.

huskerdude, you got it! That's the solution. Holding down alt does retain the aspect ratio even with elongated clips. Thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

J-Bradley, I am using XSI. I do come from the 3DS Max camp, and yeah, I am aware of resetting x-forms when this happens in that uv editor. Just wasn't sure how to deal with this issue in XSI. But its all good now. Thanks again for the speedy responses, guys. :)

Cheers,

NRG

J-Bradley
03-01-2007, 08:29 AM
Glad you got it sorted out!

Joel

CGTalk Moderation
03-01-2007, 08:29 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.