PDA

View Full Version : wire fence model with particles?

overEZ
03-01-2007, 06:15 AM
Any quick way to model a wire link fence besides extruding on curves or lofting? I was wondering if has done it with particles (tubes or spheres)?

I did a search on the best way to make a wire link fence, and texture map seemed the way to go. I mapped a targa with an alpha to the transparency of a shader but it's no good for close up shots.

I'm modelling a cage for MMA (like in Ultimate Fighting) and there are some shots where I want to be looking through the cage up close (it will be blurry with depth of field) but it is a shiny cage and I need to see highlights on it.

glib
03-01-2007, 06:16 PM
Unless you're going to see a shot of where the fence interior connects to the poles that make up the frame, I wouldn't bother with extruding it. If you really need the highlights and geo (take care though, with strong DOF you might end up blowing away all this detail you're taking the time to create, be sure you're going to be able to see it), I would use a series of cylinders with the lowest geo required to make them round (5 divs) as you will be duplicating them so many times. Make your crosshatch grid, then duplicate a series of small spheres at the joints to simulate the twist that occurs there in a real fence. With heavy DOF, chances are you won't even be able to tell the difference.

Use that setup for your close shots, and a simple alpha-mapped texture for your far ones.

overEZ
03-03-2007, 01:19 AM
thanks glib...
I think I may just extrude on curves... your method sounds good except for having to place the spheres... If I am understanding you correctly, that would be time consuming and I could make the fence look better in other ways if I were to use that much time.
Thanks very much for your comment though--I changed my mind about the DOF--I will have it, but it's going to be a rack focus, so it's got to look true.

glib
03-03-2007, 08:14 PM
If it needs to be perfect, then yeah, curves will be your only recourse. It shouldn't be too tough to set up though. Just extude on curves to make one diamond link, taking care to keep everything nice and lined up, then duplicate the hell out of it.

The placement of the spheres wouldn't be difficult, it's just a duplicate with transform, playing with the settings a bit to line everything up. You'll be doing the same thing to dupe out your properly modelled fence anyway.

Post up your final fence, I'm interested to see what it looks like in the end.

newellteapot
03-03-2007, 10:48 PM
Hi! don't know what software you are using, but in Max, for example, you can draw curves and make them renderable, also specifing the thickness etc. The geometry is virtually non existent, so very practical.

overEZ
03-04-2007, 04:51 PM
monica, I'm using Maya...that function in Max sounds great, but I guess it's not too much of a pain to just hook up a circle and extrude...

glib, you're right about the spheres; shouldn't be too hard. I ended just using curves and nurbs. Here are some shots:

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n275/overez/gym/wire1.gif
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n275/overez/gym/wire2.gif

I noticed something interesting about tesselation: when it was at simple tesselation, 5x5 divisions, level high, it took about 5 seconds to render. But when switched on 'Enable Advanced Tesselation' and left the default UV at 3x3, the render time dropped down to 2 seconds and looked great! You'd think that enabling advanced tesselation would increase render time, but no...

CGTalk Moderation
03-04-2007, 04:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.