PDA

View Full Version : Vue for plants ?

Spacelord
03-01-2007, 02:31 AM
Hi I'm curious about vue's plant editor.
How does it compare with Onyx or Xfrog ?
Can it replace these ?
It looks like it can create any plant or tree, is this correct ?

kind regards

Duncan

BUZZFX
03-01-2007, 03:18 AM
Q. Hi I'm curious about vue's plant editor. How does it compare with Onyx or Xfrog ?

Sure you can make plants in Vue, but XFrog and DPIT are specifically made for high end plant creation and editing. IMO Vue's plant editor is more of an add-on for convenience's sake but not made for high end plant creation. Also in Vue's plant editor you are limited to a number of settings, while XFrog and DPIT let you create ANY plant from scratch.

http://www.dpit2.de (DPIT)
http://www.greenworks.de (xfrog)

Q. Can it replace these ?

A. No.

Q. It looks like it can create any plant or tree, is this correct?"

A. No.

But if you want to buy some plants/trees for Vue go here:
http://www.cornucopia3d.com

Hope this helps!

Spacelord
03-01-2007, 05:20 AM
Thanks Paint guy,

I create mostly visualisation, for instance I have
an exterior of a house that needs a lot of landscaping.
I'm talking ground coverage, plants and trees.
What kind of workflow would I use with Vue ?
Would I bring in the ground into Vue, apply
ground coverage, trees, etc. Render that out
as a separate pass and put it together in photoshop ?
Then I'd have to match up the sunlight.
Or us the Xstream and render in 3dsmax\Mental Ray?
Does Xstreamn have any problems with Mental Ray ?

Mike.H
03-01-2007, 05:47 AM
workflow:

since youīre a max user you could do either one of the following

A. export your house etcetera to vue and do the rest there, plants, atmosphere,ground coverage,terrain and render it all there.

B. use xStream to do the terrain and plants and atmo in vue and your max objects in max and render through xstream in both apps (looks like one perfectly merged render tho, but you actually use both render engines)

C. export your terrain and atmosphere and so forth from vue to max and render it all there(not my choice tho)

D. do your thing in max and vue and composite.postwork in photoshop/ae whatever you feel at home with.

btw. dpit requires c4d so as neat as it looks itīs of no interest for a max/vue user, xfrog on the other hand can be used in a workflow based on max and vue.

However as pointed out, you can purchase more unique plants at www.cornucopia3d.com (http://www.cornucopia3d.com) which hopefully will cover you needs, more plants keep on being added and you can always change existing plants yourself.

But i agree that the vue plant editor needs more umph and meat on itīs body, itīs nice as is, but im realy looking forward to a big plant editor update for vue7 :P

Spacelord
03-01-2007, 10:45 AM
B. use xStream to do the terrain and plants and atmo in vue and your max objects in max and render through xstream in both apps (looks like one perfectly merged render tho, but you actually use both render engines)

That sounds great, so vue does the compositing for you.
Does it take into account all the lights in Max ?
Would a tree in Vue casted shadows on a house in Max ?

bruno021
03-01-2007, 12:58 PM
If you get Vue 6 xStream, your Max lights will influence the Vue objects, and vice versa. Cross reflections too. Everything is exactly as if all elements were parts of the same scene and app, and though they are rendered by 2 different render engines (MR & the Vue engine), the process is transparent to the artist.
If you need higly detailed plants in the foreground, I'd suggest Xfrog. Vue plants are very good, especially the new ones available at cornucopia3d.com, but in the foreground, they are not realsitic enough. But for mid and background or ecosystems, they are perfect.

abudabi
03-08-2007, 11:08 AM
I dont get it?!
If I want to create an plant,tree...inside Vue, can I export it like 3ds, obj...format to other apps.?
I dont see why are you talking against VUEs plants?!
Looking at that VUE6 presentation movie , plants look outstanding!

Lex1968
03-09-2007, 03:57 AM
"Looking at that VUE6 presentation movie , plants look outstanding!"

... that's because the camera is moving so fast.... ;-)

Wabe
03-09-2007, 06:27 AM
As always the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Let's look how plants are created in Vue. In general they are trunks (+ bigger branches) with big sheets for all the smaller parts. Twig, leaves etc. Those are transparency mapped. This method make them look brilliant when you don't go too close - and see that the leaves are flat really.

The plus is that you can do much more complex looking plants without wasting too much resource. The minus is, as said above, that you can not come too close. Another big plus in my eyes, and this for me is major, is the technology that Vue has called SolidGrowth. This is a statistic method that makes every plant from one species, when you add it to your scene, looks slightly different. This even works in Ecosystems. Much more variance (if you need that) than with the "traditional" methods.

The minus is that, to repeat it again, you can not go too close. Then, when you export such a plant you of course get the trunk plus the sheets with the maps. Maybe not exactly what you expect.

Now the good news. Of course you can use in Vue as well imported plants. Plants that are created in XFrog, TreePro wherever so that you really have the choice. For closeups the "real" plants, for the rest the Vue internal ones.

But don't underestimate the possibilities within vue. If you look at what some talented plant creators like Linda (Lush at Cornucopia3D) do with the at first glance so limited looking plant editor it is amazing.

abudabi
03-09-2007, 06:52 AM
In your opinion, great looking plants for close ups would be by...

Wabe
03-09-2007, 07:07 AM
Well, the big plant creators don't do each other too much. XFrog or TreePro.

The big plus of XFrog is that the user restrictions are not so tight as they are with TreePro. TreePro does allow ONLY the use of the models for the owner of the program. Full stop. Results are that TreePro is not very popular and that you can buy a lot of already modelled XFrog plants on the internet. As well Cornucopia3D has most of the libraries as Vue objects already.

The big plus of TreePro is that it is way easier to use. You install the program and are able to create plants from the first minute. Even when you do not really know what you are doing.

The-G-Man
03-09-2007, 07:38 PM
"Looking at that VUE6 presentation movie , plants look outstanding!"

... that's because the camera is moving so fast.... ;-)

That camera technique helped with a lot of other scene too. :D

abudabi
03-15-2007, 07:42 AM
Guys what do you think of Onyx Tree Professional Suite?

Caine777
03-20-2007, 04:45 AM
Guys what do you think of Onyx Tree Professional Suite?Great program, but the trees and plants created are usually very high in polycount, especially for conifers. Good for closeups, not very good for making forests.

abudabi
03-20-2007, 09:40 AM
any other suggestion...

abudabi
03-22-2007, 09:40 AM
o.k. I watched Vue presenation movie, and that part of the movie where the camera is still and it shows plants in vases...plants are simply beautifull and its also a closeup shot!
Comments

phamarus
03-22-2007, 04:13 PM
any other suggestion...

Well if you have lightwave??...http://www.polas.net/trees/
you can export those trees in whatever polylevel you like...and it has a lot of different leaves to choose from...itīs a different approach thou, cause you have to set up or model how the general treeshape should look like..
and in vue you have to set up the leaves texture and alphas.

Phamarus

CGTalk Moderation
03-22-2007, 04:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.