PDA

View Full Version : Preparing a character for animation...

ronaldomiranda
03-01-2007, 12:42 AM
Hey Guys, i hope anyone could help me just answering some small question i had about my first character animation try ;)

Can i use Displacement maps in a character for animation? (making details in Zbrush, for example?)

Will that change something in my Rig or Character Setup? (i know , that of course, will increase render times! but i dont care for now...)

About the Head.

For use blendshape, i must EXTRACT the head...or whatever?
i am very confused about this last question...dont know if the head must be attached to body
or no....

Thanx for any reply mates!!!

Robken
03-01-2007, 08:04 AM
you don't HAVE TO extract the head, it's just easier since then your blendshapes have less polygons to worry about. it can be tricky to re-attach it sometimes though, do your research on that part first...I usually just keep it attached whenever possible.

yes you can have displacement maps on your character, they should only bother you at rendertime.
it is advised to have a lowpoly version of your character that you use for animation though, to get faster feedback.

ronaldomiranda
03-01-2007, 09:53 AM
Thanx a lot for your fast reply Robken!!!

btw, for have a high and a low poly version of the same character, Must i Bind the versions at the same time and animate just using the low version?

Robken
03-01-2007, 10:32 AM
you can just break up your mesh into seperate pieces and parent the pieces to the appropriate joints. then just hide your bound mesh and animate with the parented pieces visible

ronaldomiranda
03-01-2007, 11:44 AM
ok mate...great tips..thank you...
i hope i can show you soon some nice animations ;)

CGTalk Moderation
03-01-2007, 11:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.