PDA

View Full Version : Enviorment/Lighting Experiment

Dr-spline
03-01-2003, 10:02 AM
This was an experiment using caustics, Global illumination, final gathering and textures.
http://www.xsiworld.com/lightexp.jpg

Dr-spline
03-01-2003, 10:19 PM
I know this image is not a masterpeice so say the least but I would appreciate some honest feedback, be it "this is way to bright" or "why would you do this in such contrasting colors?"

BTW I did the entire thing with a cast on my broken right(dominate) hand :P

Powell
03-01-2003, 10:34 PM
looks like a render by some one who doesnt know anything about using Caustics, FinalGathering, Global illumination.:thumbsdow

Dr-spline
03-01-2003, 10:37 PM
Yes it does, I... well, let just say I wasnt in a complete frame of mind when I did this. It was pretty damn interesting to me last night though :)

BiTMAP
03-01-2003, 11:46 PM
I'd like to see it tried over though, make the text a pasticine type of clay substance then some letters should actualy be an orange resin, with cuastics but not too much since its resin it should spread the light alot... also translucency... hmm use directional lights though none of that spotlight stuff.

Hey how do u do SSS in XSI?

Dr-spline
03-04-2003, 07:08 AM
That is just the way I set up the lights and how they reflect off the plane. The shader on the text is translucent so the caustics, gi, and fg all help to make that effect.

Stimpy
03-04-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by BiTMAP
Hey how do u do SSS in XSI?

either use tom sporers tutorial to fake it with a volume shader or use the tranvol shader, thats somewhere out there on the net. since mental ray doesnt support sss natively you have to fake it. mileage may vary depending on your models.

stephen2002
03-04-2003, 07:07 PM
my first thought :eek: that is really bright.

My second thought: that's a really odd swirly pattern.

My third thought: humm could use some work.

Bane
03-04-2003, 08:14 PM
My first thought was; did mspaint release a 3d scene creator? Sorry but it looks very bad.

How about you post somthing based on reality instead of some rendering test. I mean, if it was a test like a cornell box, that would make sense, but as is, it barely makes sense.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.