PDA

View Full Version : Quads?

Gibbz
03-01-2003, 09:17 AM
whats with the quads? is the only reason people prefer to use them is they "seem" neater? tho i have many reason against using them, are there any benifits im unaware of?

jistyles
03-01-2003, 10:17 AM
there's a couple of reasons, but weighing up the pros and cons, I personally just prefer pure tris.

main advantage to using quads is the relative tidyness, and therefore the ease of which you can delve into poly flow. Another advantage is if you're going around the 3k poly target, and you need to deliver both a low poly in-game, and high poly cinematics asset, then you can directly use your quad based low poly source through subdivision modelling and produce your high poly target.

For me, it all comes down to when you're doing low poly, you're working at the lowest level possible, and therefore should be knee deep in tris.

Gibbz
03-01-2003, 11:45 AM
ok so no real diffrence then

jistyles
03-01-2003, 01:29 PM
well, it's not so clear cut as that - both ways have their pros and cons.

Some people enjoy working in edit poly, with its unique tools, while others feel restricted in it and/or prefer just plain edit mesh. Then there's of course different results given with some tools when there's invisible and visible edges. Example of this is chamfering, when you chamfer an edge, its neighbours will also chamfer if the neighbouring edges are visible. It's all up to personal work-flow, and preference.

CGmonkey
03-01-2003, 02:45 PM
well I get the basic shape with quads and then I detail it with tri's.. converting between those. Works perfectly fo rme. :>

Gibbz
03-01-2003, 11:48 PM
this is how i usually work:
start with plane/line or shape, convert to edit mesh, work on it, if i need any of the poly tools, i converto to that then back to edit mesh, when im almost near the end i convert all lines to visible as i prefer to know where every single poly ive placed on there is, and have full controll over where the poly goes, and how it will react with the others, and animate....

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.