PDA

View Full Version : Tapered line with Pastels

KenyattaNiles
02-28-2007, 06:26 PM
New to Painter.

I've been reading through the manual for Painter IX. I have a Wacom tablet, I don't have the 6D pen - yet. I would like to know how can I create a tapered line with a pastel (or oil pastel) brush?
Do I have to manipulate the Resaturation and Dryout in the Well Brush Controls Palette?
I am aware of the Size Step slider controls but it doesn't really have a noticeable effect on the Pastels brush. I can achieve a tapered line with the Ink Brush and I can definitely achieve it easily in Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.

I understand that all the brushes react differently, is there something that I'm missing or overlooking?

Thanks in advance!

Jinbrown
03-01-2007, 09:24 AM
New to Painter.

I've been reading through the manual for Painter IX. I have a Wacom tablet, I don't have the 6D pen - yet. I would like to know how can I create a tapered line with a pastel (or oil pastel) brush?
Do I have to manipulate the Resaturation and Dryout in the Well Brush Controls Palette?

Resaturation and Dryout have no effect on width of the brush stroke.

Resaturation controls how much color is in the brush stroke.
Bleed controls how much existing color is picked up and mixed with the selected color.
Dryout controls how fast the brush runs out of color.

I am aware of the Size Step slider controls but it doesn't really have a noticeable effect on the Pastels brush. I can achieve a tapered line with the Ink Brush and I can definitely achieve it easily in Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.

I understand that all the brushes react differently, is there something that I'm missing or overlooking?

Thanks in advance!

I'm curious about what you describe as the "Ink Brush". In what brush category is that found and what is the exact name of the brush category and brush variant?

To get a "tapered" brush stroke, if you mean a thick and thin (or wide and narrow) brush stroke:

In the Size palette, set the Size (the width of the brush stroke) and the Min Size (the minimum width of the brush stroke.
Then choose Pressure as the Size Expression option.

Size Step controls the transition between wide and narrow parts of the brush stroke.

KenyattaNiles
03-01-2007, 01:01 PM
First, thank you.
Second, I found a brush variant of the Pastel brush that is already tapered.

"Ink Brush," I meant Pen brush category, I'm not in front of my computer but it was one of the built-in variants.

I was using a Soft Pastel 10 variant of the Pastel brush. I was trying to customize that brush so it could taper to a point. The size step option was grayed out.

I need to read the entire manual. Thanks again.

Jinbrown
03-02-2007, 01:15 AM
Since there is no Painter IX.5 Pastels variant named Soft Pastel 10, I'm wondering if you meant that you use he Soft Pastel variant and changed the brush size to 10?

I did that and found it was hard to see a transition from thick to thin (wide to narrow) in the brush stroke until I moved the Size slider up to about 15. Then I could definitely see the transition from stroke being wider when I pressed harder and more narrow when I pressed more lightly. (By default this brush variant is set to Size Expression: Pressure and the Size Sep slider is available. Now I'm thinking you didn't mean that brush variant after all.)

I haven't been able to find a Pastels variant at size 10 that doesn't have the Size Step slider available.

In order to know what brush variant you're using, we need to know the exact brush category name and the brush variant name.

Try restoring all brush variants in the currently loaded brush library to their default state (Brush Selector menu > Restore All Default Varians). Then you'll know for sure which ones do not have the Size Step slider available.

In any case, the Size Expression option: Pressure is most commonly used to control the variation of brush stroke width and narrowness based on how hard you press when painting. While other Expression options can also control width and narrowness of the brush stroke, they produce different results. Try the Size Expression option, Direction, to see what I mean.

CGTalk Moderation
03-02-2007, 01:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.