PDA

View Full Version : how to make good lens flares?

carlostelevida
02-28-2007, 03:48 PM
hi, i'm a old user of 3dsmax, from the version 2.5r, and i'm moving on to XSI, because it's flexibility for the animation at all levels, so the last night i was wondering how to do a lens flare, like one's there are in 3ds max, so because what i get in softimage really stink, if someone could help me it would be appreciate, thanks in advance, and i forget how to do a good nebula, would be nice too, for a space proyect

carlos fabian abreu valerio
carlos_abreu1981@hotmail.com (http://forums.cgsociety.org/carlos_abreu1981@hotmail.com).
all the time online.
santo domingo, dominican republic

wurp
02-28-2007, 04:11 PM
did you try the ones in the fxtree? they are pretty good and usually does the job for me..

carlostelevida
02-28-2007, 04:16 PM
could you explain me, i don't know where to find it, or how to apply it to a light

Chris-TC
02-28-2007, 05:38 PM
Isn't there a lens shader that does lens flares?
But really, lens flares are something I'd always do in post. Plugins like Knoll Light Factory give you a lot of control over the look of the flare.

wurp
02-28-2007, 06:09 PM
the fxtree is the compositor in xsi, just read in the manual how to use it, it has a lensflare node that does very realistic suns, you need to find the right preset though as the default one looks a bit crappy..

and yeah, there are other solutions as well, a lot of plugins for aftereffects that can do lensflares in post.

you'll need to learn how to split a render into multiple passes as well unless you already know how to, and dont ask me how to do it, its not something that can be explained easily in a post on a forum...

carlostelevida
02-28-2007, 06:45 PM
so excuseme in advance, i told you 'im not a begginer, in post, and i know how to do this in after effects and combustion, but it does'nt look like a 3d flare, so if you have the enough experience then you know what i'm talking about, so i'm not begginer in XSI either, i be made some good looking comercials, for big production companies. well i was'n asking for a tutorial, so i think i don't need it, here was a misunderstand, i think there are many XSI users with the same problem, i was asking a good way to archieve this (frontend result), without use and external apps, sure when i found how to it i will post a tutorial, and please don't turn angry with me, we are in the same boat http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon12.gif, don't we ? jeje you're so kind, see ya friends

Sbowling
03-01-2007, 05:39 AM
It would help to know what you have tried. I've been able to get some pretty good looking results using the starburst flare lens shader. I never used max, but the lens shaders in XSI are much more flexible than what I had in LightWave. It can do everything from the cheesy Babylon5 flare effects to much more realistic effects.

Let us know what you have tried and if possible show up a picture of what you are trying to achieve and you will probably get a much better answer.

ThE_JacO
03-01-2007, 06:06 AM
so excuseme in advance, i told you 'im not a begginer, in post, and i know how to do this in after effects and combustion, but it does'nt look like a 3d flare, so if you have the enough experience then you know what i'm talking about, so i'm not begginer in XSI either, i be made some good looking comercials, for big production companies.

A "3D flare", in every commercial application out there, is rendered by post shaders, which happen to be EXACTLY THE SAME of doing it post, jsut that the rendering engine does it for you using data that's buffered instead of using raster data on storage.

If you ask for advice then please learn to take it when it's given to you, without needing to defend your position and telling us how many awesome productions you've worked on, at least not if you ignore entirely the mechanics of a rendering engine and how it outputs what you're asking about.

CGTalk Moderation
03-01-2007, 06:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.