PDA

View Full Version : Game Art Comp 3: (J.I. Styles) : (Final Fantasy-spirits within : Gray Edwards)

jistyles
03-01-2003, 04:20 AM
'ello!

Thought I'd do Gray Edwards, the main male character in the Final Fantasy movie. I intend to do him in his combat armour (kind of stock-standard space marine style), with his helmet as a removable element. Should be fun getting the folding helmet working.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He's around 2300 tris, I plan on doing the helmet in around 200 to 300, so he's yet to be fully optomised.

Stuff to be done:
Helmet segments (so it folds)
light beam
perhaps the knife seperate from its holster
misc secondary details
more alpha planes for the hair

SPyDeR WeBz
03-01-2003, 04:56 AM
Good choice i wouldn't be suprised if more people deside to do other characters from the movie.

Looks good so far, hell yea if you can get that helmet in their your golden. =).

I got my eyes on this one. Keep pushin them poly's.

Krystman
03-01-2003, 02:47 PM
LOL, another Final Fantasy entry :bounce: ... Congratulations, you are the 4th (5th if you count the Chrono Trigger robot) :thumbsup:

Looks good so far, btw...:p

jistyles
03-01-2003, 02:54 PM
True, but mine isn't another incarnation of a previous game model - it's a character from the movie franchise. :thumbsup:

Actually, didn't think the rules allowed us to do game characters :surprised

Krystman
03-01-2003, 03:12 PM
True, true. Yours is more original. :thumbsup:

Well, the way I understood the rules are allowed to redo game characters, generally. Happy Pants himself does one. The question is if we are allowed to redo 3d characters and it looks like we are since there was no protest on that two Final Fantasy posts. Personally, I think it is not very original but I'm no Judge :shrug:

Btw, you forgot to post Reference Pix

MrHappyPants
03-02-2003, 01:57 AM
Nice work so far! going to make a great entry

yes I agree that re-doing recent 3d game characters isnt very original.. I should have stated in the rules that they arent allowed. I forgot and didnt want to be the bad guy after people submitted models already in progress. Oh well.. were getting lots of great entrys so thats whats important

Adder
03-02-2003, 02:11 AM
Looking very nice the form is looking spot on :thumbsup:

good luck in the comp m8

Adder

jistyles
03-02-2003, 03:00 AM
Bulk of the modelling is out of the way, just need to play with the verts a bit. Still need to do the helmet, and any other secondary detailing with any left over tris.

Unfortunately I don't own the movie, so I have to go off the images google gives me - Here's my referance sheet:

Adder
03-02-2003, 03:08 AM
if ya need any ref pics pm me m8 i have the film and can take some screen grabs if ya like.

jistyles
03-03-2003, 07:07 AM
I've decided I'll go a bit more low-key in this guys development - perhaps one or two more wips 'til the final is ready. I've taken out the old the wip's, and the first post has the latest attachment - make sure you hit reload if you've seen it before, so you don't get the old pic.

MrHappyPants
03-28-2003, 08:00 AM
hows this one coming? I really hope you finish.. you have a really strong entry thats way over half done. come on! :beer:

jistyles
04-13-2003, 08:39 AM
mmm, kind of finished him last week - not happy with the skin, I'll end up doing a paint-over sometime in the future. Thought I should just post my final presentation shot instead of leaving this thread dead and open.

http://www.garandnet.net/~malakai/content/lowpoly/pictures/gray_edwards.jpg

mmm... doesn't read well... needs an hour or two paintover job, and a good polish.

CGmonkey
04-13-2003, 11:53 AM
Awesome!!! :buttrock: Love it!

Adder
04-13-2003, 12:40 PM
looking very good m8 just a shame you couldnt make the dead line would have been a strong contender :thumbsup:

MrHappyPants
04-13-2003, 07:40 PM
wow that turned out pretty killer.. and I hear ya on not finishing on time and needing to do a texture a paint over. I did the same thing. oh well next time :beer:

hanzo
04-13-2003, 07:45 PM
I like the overal model but something is wrong with the characters face and the texturing I think could be a lot better, also in the movie i don't think that his neck was exposed when his helmit was on..

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.