PDA

View Full Version : Toony Legs Test

captainboom
02-28-2007, 04:55 AM
This is test I am working on.
It has some bugs. But what doesn't when you trying something new eh!

Anyway I set the legs up to have a real toony feel. Stretchy legs ctrls, using utility nodes , a no flip Knee doing the same as well I used expressions to drive blendshapes that thin the leg when it is stretched out.

What am looking for is maybe an other approach to doing this .

How would you do it better, how could I improve my setup.

Later
Jason

theazz
03-03-2007, 03:38 AM
u using expressions to drive a blandhsape for volume maintenance? This is quite slow and inefficent as empressions evaluate on every frame. Better i think , i am an amatuer but still, chek http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL_5OSjJYc0 to see my toony rig. I would suggest using a cluster with smooth interpolation and its scale driven by util nodes. but overall i like the rest of it. Very cool. How does to no flip knee work?

Aron

alexdonne
03-12-2007, 04:43 PM
thats really good, its the sort of squash/stretch principles i need to apply to my character rig.

Is there anywhere i can get a good tutorial on how to do this?

captainboom
03-13-2007, 07:06 PM
Hey Thanks Guy

theazz : Nice job on your rig, I'll will give your method a try, As far as the No flip knee thing goes, Here hows I set up no flip Knee on a IK leg........

1. In the Leg ik Handle Channels, Set polevector X. Y .Z to 0

2. Now Set the pole vector X to 0.1 ( the knee will flip 90)

3. In the Foot ctrl ,create two new Attributes Knee and offset

4. Create a plusMinusAverage utility node in the HyperShade (leave the Operation a SUM)

5. Shift select the plusMinusAverage Node. Leg Ik handle and FootCtrl

6. in the Hyper Graph, Graph the network

7. Connect the Knee attribute in the Foot ctrl to output 1D [0] in the plusMinusAverage

8. Connect the Offset attribute in the Foot ctrl to output 1D [1] in the plusMinusAverage

9. Now Connect the OUTPUT 1D of the plusMinusAverage to the Twist attribute on the IK Handle.
( Note:you connect them by right clicking on the right side of the Nodes in the HyperGraph, you will see all the inputs and outputs there.)

10. The Knee will flip 90. so now in your channel box of the Foot ctrl, Set the Offset Attribute
You created to 90 . And Lock and Hide it

11. Adjust the Knee Attribute to see it working.

Poof now you have a NO FLIP KNEE SET-UP

If you get stuck drop me an e-mail

. jasonmcarthur@gmail.com

alexdonne Thanks, Get the SUPERTOON books from Maya, they will get you where you need to go, you to if you have more questions feel free to e-mail me

Later

Jason

theazz
03-17-2007, 01:43 PM
thanks for this, used it on my latest rig, cheers.

CGTalk Moderation
03-17-2007, 01:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.