PDA

View Full Version : Where did you learn Thinking Particles?

a13xr3d
02-28-2007, 03:33 AM
I'm taking my first steps in TP, and wanted to know how all of you started with it. Was it all trial and error, or are there lessons out there on the web for it?

Bobo
02-28-2007, 03:37 AM
I'm taking my first steps in TP, and wanted to know how all of you started with it. Was it all trial and error, or are there lessons out there on the web for it?

I had to jump-start myself into TP for a project within 3 days.
I read all intro tutorials in the docs and dissected the demo scenes that ship with it.
It worked.

While I find the tutorials to leave a lot of the heavy stuff out and to your imagination (there are millions of ways to wire operators and it is up to your creativity to find out what you need), the basics are covered pretty nicely IMHO.

a13xr3d
02-28-2007, 04:10 AM
Thanks. Do you have any tips on starting a TP setup? like how you plan things out, and how you know what tools and what methodology works together? I've always wanted to know how the pro's start off their Particle scenes.

Oh, and Bobo: te ponimayish ruski? to ya shas uvedzel shto tvio emeh chutz kak ruskaya.

Bobo
02-28-2007, 04:45 AM
Thanks. Do you have any tips on starting a TP setup? like how you plan things out, and how you know what tools and what methodology works together? I've always wanted to know how the pro's start off their Particle scenes.

Oh, and Bobo: te ponimayish ruski? to ya shas uvedzel shto tvio emeh chutz kak ruskaya.

The first thing for me was to figure out the philosophical differences between TP and PFlow. Once I had a grasp of what is similar and what is completely different, I started playing with modifying existing scenes - I had to do thousands of colliding objects with live action interaction (for a movie I don't want to talk about ;)) so I found the examples of piling objects, found out what operators these used, modified them to replace with my own objects, then started creating systems from scratch using similar approaches and made them more and more complex until I got what I needed.

I wrote an internal document describing my findings and the feature-by-feature comparison of TP and PFlow so anyone else at Frantic could pick up TP is no time. In general, knowing one system gives you some ideas when switching to another - it is like with learning multiple foreign languages, programming languages, or 3D apps. The more you learn, the easier it gets to learn the next one.

In short, I loved certain approaches in TP and prefer others in PFlow. TP is a very advanced system, but it is a bit like Maya - it makes hard things very easy, but easy things rather difficult - count the steps to create a simple spray-like system like the default PFlow Emitter! PFlow is more like Max itself - easy things are REALLY very easy to set up, but complicated things become nearly impossible.

---
Ja ponimaju, no govorit i pisat ne mogu :) Uchilsja v shkole, knizhki chital, no uzhe vse zabyl. Moe imja bolgarskoe.

a13xr3d
02-28-2007, 04:58 AM
Thanks for the tips. So, do you suggest cramming my brain with TP stuff and procedures, or do you suggest mastering PFlow allong with TP?

------------
Ya takoyje sami... Ya fsu jizni jil vruski simie, nu safsem ne kogda ne nauchilsa kak chetats eli pisats. Nu spasiba za vashie pomasht. Ya shas starayus nauchitsa kak bitz "fluent" v fseh aspects v 3d, animatziye e vfx perid etsim kogda sakonchu mayu shkolu.

CGTalk Moderation
02-28-2007, 04:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.