PDA

View Full Version : I want an UNDO

Chart
03-01-2003, 05:11 AM
I haven't had much success with AM's undo. Most of the time it either messes things up more or crashes AM. This isn't just the current version. I don't know of any prior version where it worked.

I really would like to have an undo. I know, don't make mistakes.:rolleyes:

I can believe the undo would be difficult to program. Does Lightwave, Maya, Max, etc. have undo and do they work?

Along with stablity, this is pretty high on my list. Does anyone know if Hash is working on this?

Chart

Raist3d
03-01-2003, 09:45 AM
Undo has been one of my #1 pet peeves... it has been broken as early as the first version I bought (7.xx) - and I wouldn't be surprised if it was broken since earlier...

The day UNDO works, it will usher A:M in a new era probably, marking it as a stable product :-)

- Raist

John Keates
03-01-2003, 11:03 AM
Reading the latest bugfix list (10.f), I see that uno now works in midel mode (apparently). Havn't tried it though. It will be a long time before undo works totaly well as it does in other apps.

Chart
03-01-2003, 05:14 PM
Does anyone use undo? I really avoid trying it. It would be good to know if there are times that people feel comfortable using it.

Chart

Bugle
03-01-2003, 05:40 PM
Well, I'm on 8.0k and it works...

What might cause confusion is that the undo affects camera views and all so often I move a CP (For example) move the model around to check the effect, don't like it, and press undo - The undo action is only applied to the camera view, so I have to undo twice to actually put the CP back where it was.

Often the undo action confuses the viewport settings too, but I find it does actually work even though you might be looking at the model from miles away :)

Kalimol
03-02-2003, 12:46 AM
Undo usually works for point manipulation and usually for action mode--it's really just bones and welding that mess it up. I use it pretty often, though I sometimes try to work around it since it has to recompute the normals.

ashecorbin
03-03-2003, 09:47 PM
Undo...

Don't do it!

It is a great program otherwise, though.

Just my opinion.

Wegg
03-04-2003, 01:18 AM
Yea I agree. . . they might as well have labled that Undo button <crash program>.

Only Undo if you have saved what you are doing as a new file revision. . . and you have no other choice.

Finkster
03-04-2003, 04:53 AM
I've had my fair share of undo crashes, but I never got to the point where I was scared to use it. Maybe I was lucky......or maybe I just learned to press ctrl-s every 10 seconds. dunno.

John Keates
03-04-2003, 04:23 PM
I have found that my models have been corrupting recently and I have been using undo. Could undo be the problem? I made an ear and was spending ages trying to arrange the patches in a crease-free way (aaargh!!). Now I can't change the bias settings for the damn thing. Has anyone else found this?

I have tried copy/pasting into a new model and this removes the corruption but I will have to remake the fan bones... Or is there a way around this. I have sent Hash the model but they are un-responsive.

Dearmad
03-04-2003, 05:52 PM
I'll use undo very sparingly. More often than not I'll reload a model. When creating Chors, I am VERY careful setting things up, and use UNDO as little as possible. I've limited my undo cache to 2 steps. 8.5p. So far I've yet to have any real troubles with Undo once I limited it.

Raist3d
03-05-2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Bugle
Well, I'm on 8.0k and it works...

What might cause confusion is that the undo affects camera views and all so often I move a CP (For example) move the model around to check the effect, don't like it, and press undo - The undo action is only applied to the camera view, so I have to undo twice to actually put the CP back where it was.

Often the undo action confuses the viewport settings too, but I find it does actually work even though you might be looking at the model from miles away :)

I invite you to check the "AM bug hunt" thread, and do the bug I posted there. I'll be willing to bet 8.0k will undo-crash on you.

- Raist

Raist3d
03-05-2003, 08:08 AM
Some tips to make UNDO more reliable:

* try to limit the UNDO buffer to no more than 5 (or even 3 steps.. the less the better)

* Save often... like every 5-10 minutes. *WITH A DIFFERENT* filename... Like say:

myProject1
myProject2, etc.

I don't know why, but it DOES seem to make UNDO more stable.

Now to those that vouch for AM's great stability, how many other applications you regularly and frequently have UNDO problems with, to the point users avoid using it???

Just a thought :D

- Raist

hoochoochoochoo
03-05-2003, 09:11 AM
Now to those that vouch for AM's great stability, how many other applications you regularly and frequently have UNDO problems with, to the point users avoid using it???

No argument from me there.

CaptainSam
03-07-2003, 02:46 AM
>Does Lightwave, Maya, Max, etc. have undo and do they work?

Messiah doesnt have undo at all.

XSIs undo can be kinda unstable; causing crashes or undoing things wrongly

Maya's undo isd absolutely perfect. I can easily undo several hours of work and then redo up again. I have two custom shortcuts - undo10 and undo100, that will run that number of undos at once.

Wegg
03-07-2003, 07:07 PM
Messiah has an Undo. You just hit "U" on the keyboard. It doesn't go back any further than one step. . . but thats what saving multiple revisions is for. I'm not saying that if it was there I wouldn't use it. . . but it doesn't slow us down any. . .

Bugle
03-07-2003, 07:51 PM
Raist I tried that undo bug and it doesn't crash 8.0k!!!

:bounce:

Actually, that's probably because it doesn't have the duplicator wizard...

Now to find the button that'll stop this stupid board from emailing me every time someone posts.... I hate that stupid feature... :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.