View Full Version : upgrade or replace?
03-01-2003, 04:26 AM
i'm currently working on a P4 (1.5) system, 256 RAM, 40G HD, with a crappy old 32MB DDR ATI Radeon 4X grafix card...
and it just ain't handling the Maya and Houdini workload.
what would y'all suggest:
1) upgrade video card and memory
2) start over with a fresh new system?
i'm thinking that option number two may save me some money in the long run, since I can get a brand new P4 3.06, with nVidia GeForce4 Ti 4200 (or something comparative), and big ass RAID enabled hard drives for under 2k now....
for example this deal (http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11182860&m=488&cat=490&scat=0) - for starters (i know i could do better by building it myself)
03-01-2003, 05:03 AM
Option 2 would be good but you don't need a new motherboard. A new new video card and memory would improve viewport speed but not final rendering, and by the way Nvidia cards are better for most 3d programs (Max). That new system would be a huge improvement but way more expensive than just a new card and memory. Also Nvidia prices will go down soon when the new geforceFX card come out.
03-01-2003, 04:17 PM
2) Start over.
I disagree with max because of the fact most current accelerators require a good deal of horsepower to show decent jumps in performance. The radeon 7500 is the closest to your current video card. You'll note there is not a significant difference between it and a ti 4200 at your speeds.
Here's an older article showing how well the Geforce4 Ti's scale with processor performance. An athlon 1000 is a bit faster then a 1.5 P4, so thats where you should start looking at.
You don't need raid equipped harddrives, or a 3.06 P4. You can get a system with granite bay motherboard (or i845PE) with a 2.53B P4 for significantly less money. Throw in a ti 4200 or 4600, and 512-1024 megs of ddr, and a WD special edition hd, and your still under 2k.
03-01-2003, 04:25 PM
I would be very suspicious of a deal like that Bestbuy thing. They definitely cut corners everywhere they can.
I don't see anything wrong with first getting a better card (I'd buy a Quadro4) and a bit more RAM and see if it improves your performance to an acceptable level. If it's not - replace the board and the processor (and possibly RAM) as well. And you can stick in a new harddrive anytime. I would wait for the 3gig processors to get under $300.
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
vBulletin v3.0.5, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.