PDA

View Full Version : The Revenant (zombie Girl), Socar Myles (2D)

Socar MYLES
03-01-2003, 02:53 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/24949/zombie_girl_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/24949/zombie_girl.jpg)

Se tra buio un fantasma vedrai
Bianco, lieve, che geme e sospira
SarÓ Elvira che s'aggira,
E ti grida: Io son morta per te.

--Bellini, "I Puritani"

This is two things--a Hanged Man tarot card, and my idea of how Bellini's "I Puritani" should've ended. I mean, who ever heard of an opera (other than the comic variety) where nobody dies? That tacked-on happy ending really sucks. Elvira should die, dammit, and then Arturo should kill himself too...and maybe he should even kill Riccardo first for good measure!

Anyway, in THIS picture, it is a revenant which has come back from the grave, still imagining it's her wedding day.

Jacaranda
03-01-2003, 02:58 AM
It's really lovely.

I like the colour scheme you use, really adds to the mood.
Can you say what you used to do this?
Hand drawn first?

There is something wierd around her neck though. It could be just the angle, but her chin seems as wide or wider than her neck, which just seems a bit odd.

But again, really nice.
Wouldn't mind seeing more of your work.

Socar MYLES
03-01-2003, 10:56 AM
Thank you! It was not hand-drawn first...I made it in Photoshop using the same technique I have on this page: http://www.gorblimey.com/tutorials/6.html (some people are confused by this tutorial--you have to click the titles to see the pictures).

It might've been a mistake to put hair in front of her neck, hiding its form, there...I think that's where the weirdness is coming from. It might've looked just as odd with the hair neatly missing the neck, though...sort of cut-and-paste, maybe.

There is more of my work on www.gorblimey.com .

Glad you liked it! :)

Hugh
03-01-2003, 11:20 AM
wow - that's georgeous....

I don't have a problem with the neck - it looks fine to me.

The hair comes across very well too - I like that slightly greasy wispy look....

OZ
03-01-2003, 12:12 PM
I feel so good looking at ur works......i hope a day i can do stuff like urs......great style.:applause:

Milho
03-01-2003, 01:33 PM
I visited your page some time ago. You're an incredible artist. I love the way you use the colors. They have so much atmosphere.
:thumbsup:

ckw01hk
03-01-2003, 03:38 PM
absolutely wonderful piece!!:eek: :eek:
skills, colour, composition worth full marks!!very great!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

HapZungLam
03-01-2003, 03:47 PM
why is she a zombie, she is very beautiful man. sexy girl

boxcrash
03-01-2003, 05:32 PM
cool, great PS work.:)

Anthony
03-01-2003, 05:50 PM
Hey Socar, great work! The BG looks especially nicely done. What is making it seem a touch off is the high contrast back there and the very neutral treatment of the figure. Neutral in both color and value. That's why she looks a touch zombie-ish, the extra color in the BG makes the figure seem extra monochrome. Very nicely rendered though, and she reminds me of some model whose name I forget :thumbsup:

Socar MYLES
03-01-2003, 05:59 PM
Anthony - Thank you! She is actually intended to be a zombie/ghoul/revenant, though, so I'm not sure I'd agree that the neutralness of the figure makes her look "off". I made the colour choices, especially on the skin, to give it that pallid deathly look you get on a corpse. :) Glad you like the rendering, though!

boxcrash - Thanks! PS is, indeed, my weapon of choice.

HapZungLam - She's a zombie because I wanted to paint a zombie...I like horror art. Glad you like her, though!

ckw01hk - Thank you very much! Glad you like the colours!

Milho - Thanks! Good to hear you enjoy my work.

OZ - Thanks very much! With art, if you practice enough you can eventually do whatever you want. ;)

Hugh - Thank you! There are a few parts of the anatomy I futzed around with for a while, so it's possible that some parts like the neck could be mistakes. As long as there's nothing glaring, though.... :)

Gotham
03-01-2003, 06:44 PM
:thumbsup:

boomji
03-01-2003, 06:54 PM
hi,
a month back or so you had posted here and from there i checked out your work on epilogue.I liked the "cat on a tree"...very much.

today when the front page was loading this pic(woman) sprang up first and instantly i went...socar.I wasent 100% sure but it just goes to show you have made an impact and that you have a style which is distinctly YOU.
sooo...good i guess.

she is sooo beautiful.The teeth seam to be fudged up though
(3rd one).I'd love to see some pinks(prominent) here.

She make me want to know her.
b

Baldasseroni
03-01-2003, 07:22 PM
Socar , mi vuoi sposare ?:love:

emailsux
03-01-2003, 07:32 PM
Wow

:beer:

lurifrax
03-01-2003, 08:33 PM
J─VLAR VAD SNYGGT! // DAMN, THAT'S NICE!

ASCIISkull
03-01-2003, 08:53 PM
Gorgeous... we need more corpses like that^_^

I really love the colors...

fr0s7y
03-01-2003, 09:15 PM
I'm trying to find a hidden rat in there somewhere...no luck so far. ;)

chrisdejoya
03-01-2003, 10:35 PM
I love this piece!

lildragon
03-01-2003, 11:28 PM
I'm constantly blown away by the art and animations that pass through cgtalk, and Socar yours is no exception. Like someone mentioned earlier, your art is so unique that you pretty much can tell this is a "Socar" from a mile away. Quite an accomplishment I must say. :)

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Keep us inspired!.

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_mar03_2.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com for the award .psd file

salud

Socar MYLES
03-02-2003, 03:36 PM
Gotham - Thank you! :D

boomji - I am very flattered that you could recognize my style from the thumbnail--with so many great artists out there, it's hard to come up with anything remotely original or recognizable. So, yeah...it's a huge compliment that you can recognize my work easily. :)

You're right...there IS something weird about the teeth--it's annoying--at full-res, the facial features look pretty normal, but as soon as I scale down to a .jpg, the definition of the nostrils vanishes and the teeth go all weird...things never look as good onscreen as they do in print. :( Anyway, here is a detail image to show the face better:

http://www.gorblimey.com/rubbish/revendetail.jpg

That is about half of working size. Do the teeth still look wonky there? Hm...maybe that third tooth is too big and not in the proper perspective, now that you mention it.

Eklettica - Se puoi procurarmi un "GREEN CARD", certamente! ;)

emailsux - Thanks!

lurifrax - Thank you very much!

ASCIISkull - Thanks! More zombies is always a good thing until they start eating our braaaaaaaains...neeeed mooooore braaaaaaaains....

fr0s7y - No rat this time! :( Hopefully I'll have time for a fun rat painting soon.

Snowfly - Thank you! Very glad you enjoy it!

lildragon - Thank you so much! Again, I'm totally flattered that my style is recognizable to you, and honoured to be in the gallery. :D

stephen2002
03-02-2003, 05:10 PM
looks very nice, although she looks like she is on drugs.

Great picture.

Digiegg
03-02-2003, 05:11 PM
When I looked at the title I was like... hmm interesting... a ZOMBIE girl.. and I look at the picture and was like.. HEY~ she doesn't look like a zombie.. but then I got the scary feeling after I kept looking at it. LOVE the colors in it. Good job!

phoenix2k
03-02-2003, 05:30 PM
@ stephen: shes a zombie :D!!!
very nice picture, i love the style!

Baldasseroni
03-02-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Socar MYLES

Eklettica - Se puoi procurarmi un "GREEN CARD", certamente! ;)

Ok, deal.
I fixed the date for the wedding on July the 16th , 16.00 p.m. Sant`Ambrogio Church, Milan.

I`ll be the one with the yellow smoking with black stripes.

Don`t be late!

;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.