PDA

View Full Version : how to batch convert a bunch of files?

JasonA
02-27-2007, 08:12 PM
Hi all,

I'd like to batch convert a directory full of tif files, to a different format, but with each file having the original name. Is there an easy automated way to dothis with photoshop? I'm using cs.

cheers,
J

kiwi8
02-28-2007, 06:54 AM
one way is to use windows resize tool that can convert and resize image but you dont have much control, you can search and download from microsoft, its good because its built into the right click menu context so its quick.

Do a quick search for batch convert and it will give you alot of tutorials for photoshop.

leigh
03-01-2007, 08:44 PM
Photoshop is actually quite slow for conversions. I'd recommend you grab a copy of Irfanview (which is free), which is really great at mass image conversions, as well as extremely fast.

xott
03-02-2007, 01:10 AM
I agree that photoshop can do this but it could take longer than a MINI app made just for reformating
what format are you tring to save them to, I could tell how to write an action to do this

JasonA
03-02-2007, 04:51 PM
Basically I painted myself into a corner trying to be clever. What happened here is I rendered out a shadow pass and I set my mental ray frame buffer to output 1x8bit tif (just the alpha channel). For some crazy reason After Effects 6.5 Pro can't read the file(s). But photoshop (and the microsoft picture viewer even) has no problems with it. So damn I don't want to have to re-render the shot, clearly I just need to reseave the file in something that after effects will be happy with, probably converting it back to 3x8bit tif (rgb) would work.

Leigh, I downloaded Irfanview and set it up. Pretty neat that it has a mass conversion command :) I can see how this prog could be very handy, thanks! Sadly, irfanview is not reading the file properly either so I have to go back to using photoshop.

xott, if I could just have photoshop open, and re save the file as regular tif rgb, I'd probably be fine. How can I set up an action to just crunch through it (its about 300 frames)?

xott
03-05-2007, 02:11 AM
OK here are the steps and sorry for the late response

Make a back up of all your original files just incase ( I usually leave the folder in the same directory)
go to the Photoshop actions pallet and click the “create new action” button, name the action “resave”
As soon as this action is made the record button will light up indicating that it is recoding every thing you do, TURN THE RECORD BUTTON OFF, by clicking on the STOP button
file>automate>batch
select the “resave” action in the drop down menu
your source will be your folder Click the choose button and navigate to it then hit OK. Do NOT click on any of the options under the Source setting
you can have Photoshop overwrite your originals by selecting the “SAVE and CLOSE” option in the roll-down menu. Or you can select “FOLDER” in the menu then designate a different folder to save the files to
cause your not really changing your files content then the action has nothing to perform but the PS batch automation needs some kind of action to perform so you just create a blank one and then automate will just open the file save the file as the same format then close the file. You can also save out a different format but that’s a different action.

Any questions

CGTalk Moderation
03-05-2007, 02:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.