PDA

View Full Version : Motor

toonafish
02-27-2007, 10:56 AM
has anyone actualy used Motor yet ?

I'm trying to translate a bvh motion file to a character, but all that happens is xsi crashing with the error that it can't find the left hand control....but it's there and the name is correct.

also when I watch the MOTOR demo movie, the start pose of the bvh file and the character match 1 on 1 from the start. But off course that's never the case in reality....bad demo movie.
So what...you have to tweak the bvh-tag skeleton to match your characters T-pose ?
But you can only rotate the tag-points ?

also, in the demo movie the tag points do not show the "spine root" point. What should I use for a "spine root" point in the default xsi rig or bvh file ? There's the chest the hips and the neck....

oglu
02-27-2007, 11:44 AM
ive never used motor...
but maybe these vid could help..?
http://www.xsila.com/motor.php

toonafish
02-27-2007, 11:53 AM
Thanks Oglu.

I was using this one to see how it's done:
http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/tour/video_tour.aspx?video_id=21

The interface I get is different from what the show in the movie.

But I'm a bit further now. Initialy I got an error when I did not assign a "spine root" so I thought I had to asighn one. But now it suddenly works without assigning a "spine root"

Strang
02-28-2007, 02:13 AM
http://softimage.wiki.avid.com/index.php/Category:MOTOR

Sbowling
02-28-2007, 02:48 AM
has anyone actualy used Motor yet ?

I used it on a quick test to transfer animation from one character to another with a completely different rig setup and it worked great (without reading any docs). I haven't used it with mocap yet, but I don't think it's that much diferent.

Have you watched the getting started videos? that do a pretty good job of going over all the details and settings.

toonafish
02-28-2007, 09:41 AM
Thanks guys, I finaly got it working. The wiki page helped a lot, seems I need to look there more often.

That's very impressive SBowling, without reading the docs, wow. As a newb a lot of stuff in XSI still is a magic voodoo dance. Take the way creating shapes work in XSI for instance, after using it a few times I'm slowly getting the why and how's. But very often I forget a small step in the dance and I'm screwed.

I think once I get the logic behind XSI it's easyer to figure out how stuff works, but so far my brain still needs a lot of rewiring.

Sbowling
03-03-2007, 03:32 AM
That's very impressive SBowling, without reading the docs, wow. As a newb a lot of stuff in XSI still is a magic voodoo dance. Take the way creating shapes work in XSI for instance, after using it a few times I'm slowly getting the why and how's. But very often I forget a small step in the dance and I'm screwed.

I wasn't trying to brag, I just thought it was fairly straight forward to use. You select you animated object, then select your target objects and apply the animation to them. I guess working with motion capture might require a bit more work than transfering from one rig to another.

As for magic, voodoo dances... I don't get it. XSI has one of the most intuitive and straight forwad interfaces I've ever used. Open the shape editor, duplicate the default shape and modify it to make your new shape. If you are talking about the old way of duplicating the model and creating a seperate shape out of each of the copies, this has some great benefits as well. I recently used it to create a bunch of half face shapes (left eye closed, etc.) out of shapes the affected the entire face (both eyes closed, etc.) by using weight maps to smoothly blend out one half of the shape.

toonafish
03-03-2007, 02:48 PM
lol, I did't think you were bragging. Though when I read back what I wrote it might sound that way. Sorry about that ;-)

Intuitive is very personal and probably also depends on what you're used to and how your brain is wired. Some peeps even think Max is intuitive. Maybe a bad example, but a lot of stuff is not inuitive to me at all. I really have to check the manual before I get an idea of how it works.

Take the sliders for instance, now you're not going to tell me you knew by intuition that activating the name of the slider, hitting F4 and RMB sliding in the view while pressing the Alt key was the way to slide outside the preset slider range without typing all the time ;-)

You're right, duplicating shapes is not so hard, but once you get a little deeper into shapes and deform keys it's getting less and less intuitive...for me at least.

CGTalk Moderation
03-03-2007, 02:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.