PDA

View Full Version : Moving settings IX->X and more...

fabiospark
02-27-2007, 07:12 AM
1) Is it possible to import a IX custom palette into X?
I tried but I can only see an empty palette. (Maybe is due to the different folders lay-out?).

2) Is it possible to import keyboard shortcuts from IX to X?
I tried but I got an empty list. (Same as above?)

3) Is it possible to increase the font size of the help pages?
With my 1600x1200 display and my shortsightness I can hardly see the letters.

4) Is it possible to force Painter (IX or X) to use a particular zoom factor when creating a new document? Or better, to make it use all the free space for the document window and zoom the new doc to fit the window?
I tried with a template but had no luck.

5) Is it possible to make Painter (both) remember the size and position of the document window when opening an existing one? Or behave as above?

6) Is it possible to tell Painter(s) to open the dialogs and/or controls windows in a different place than the middle of the screen and remember their position even after I drag them around? It always ends up hiding the key part of the picture you're working on.

7) Is it possible to have the zoom factor scroll bar working even when any other window or dialog is open? Sometimes it could be very useful?

8) Is anybody else still having redrawing issues when dragging things around?
Temporaneous white areas erasing the UI, squared grey spots on the picture etc.

9) Is there a way to change the icons of the variants in a custom palette? Or, at least, make them show a custom description, maybe through a tooltip?

10) Is there a way to make a custom palette resize dynamically from, say, horizontal (wide and low) to vertical (narrow and high) and have the custom commands and variants move accordingly without being hidden?

11) Can we have back the Controls palette? Yes, I know it's been replaced by the Property bar but those old sliders was giving us a feedback that numbers alone can't give. The same with the old Brush controls palette: when it was not expanded it was still showing valuable information in a smaller space than the property bar.

12) At least, can we have a resizable (and "reshapable") property bar? And the toolbox?

13) Can we have a "Cancel" button on the "Brightness/contrast" dialog of the dynamic layer? Now, if you change your mind, you have to click Reset and then OK but the layer is still created: annoying.

More of these later on .....

Thanks.

ZeroPhobia
02-27-2007, 10:25 AM
8) Is anybody else still having redrawing issues when dragging things around?
Temporaneous white areas erasing the UI, squared grey spots on the picture etc.

I thought i was the only one. Yes, same thing happens here too. It is so annoying.

Philippec
03-15-2007, 03:39 PM
I tried but I can only see an empty palette. (Maybe is due to the different folders lay-out?).

It is possible, but you have to set the line-ends of the Custom Palette file to Mac (CR) instead of Win (CR/LF). There's a thread on one of the forums about this.

Try same as above :-)

On the Mac, you can press Command-+ to increase the font size of the help pages.

And there is always the PDF manual.

4) Is it possible to force Painter (IX or X) to use a particular zoom factor when creating a new document? Or better, to make it use all the free space for the document window and zoom the new doc to fit the window?

Not that I know of.

5) Is it possible to make Painter (both) remember the size and position of the document window when opening an existing one? Or behave as above?

Not that I know of.

6) Is it possible to tell Painter(s) to open the dialogs and/or controls windows in a different place than the middle of the screen and remember their position even after I drag them around? It always ends up hiding the key part of the picture you're working on.

On the Mac, IIRC they remember their position.

7) Is it possible to have the zoom factor scroll bar working even when any other window or dialog is open? Sometimes it could be very useful?

I think it may work with the mouse wheel (or the touch strip on the Intuos 3).

9) Is there a way to change the icons of the variants in a custom palette? Or, at least, make them show a custom description, maybe through a tooltip?

The icon is that of the brush category, so if you have your own custom category, it would work.

But no tooltip (that's a good idea!).

10) Is there a way to make a custom palette resize dynamically from, say, horizontal (wide and low) to vertical (narrow and high) and have the custom commands and variants move accordingly without being hidden?

Not that I know of.

12) At least, can we have a resizable (and "reshapable") property bar? And the toolbox?

Not for now :-(

13) Can we have a "Cancel" button on the "Brightness/contrast" dialog of the dynamic layer? Now, if you change your mind, you have to click Reset and then OK but the layer is still created: annoying.

There is a Cancel button on this dialog in Painter X.

Jinbrown
03-16-2007, 02:27 AM
Hi guys,

It is possible, but you have to set the line-ends of the Custom Palette file to Mac (CR) instead of Win (CR/LF). There's a thread on one of the forums about this.

Try same as above :-)

John Derry thread at Conceptart.org Painter Forum:

Importing Pre-Painter X Custom Palettes, Keysets (http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=90078)

On the Mac, you can press Command-+ to increase the font size of the help pages.

And there is always the PDF manual.

Using WinXP Home SP2 and Painter X, I can change the Help Topics font size by doing the following:

1. In the Help Topics Options menu, choose Internet Options...

2. In the Internet Options dialog box, on the General tab, lower right corner, click the Accessibility... button.

3. On the Accessibility dialog box, below Formatting, check the Ignore font sizes specified on Web pages box.

4. Click OK to close the Accessibility dialog box, then click OK to close the Internet Options dialog box.

The icon is that of the brush category, so if you have your own custom category, it would work.

But no tooltip (that's a good idea!).

We already have the ability to use Tool Tips to display the name of the brush variant when we hold the cursor over a Custom Palette brush category icon. See the screen print below (the arrow pointing to the icon wasn't captured in the screen print but it was the left icon I was Tool Tip-ing):

http://www.pixelalley.com/demos/tool_tips_for_cstmpalette_icons.jpg

Not that I know of.

We can rearrange a Custom Palette to either vertical or horizontal format, but it doesn't happen automatically and there's a minimum width and height beyond which we can't make the Custom Palette either less high or less wide:

1. Click and drag the lower right corner of the Custom Palette to make it large enough so you'll have plenty of room.

2. Hold down the Shift key, then click and drag icons and menu command buttons to whatever position you want.

3. When you have your Custom Palette arranged the way you want. click and drag the lower right corner to make it as small as possible.

There is a Cancel button on this dialog in Painter X.

The Cancel button only works if we use it before clicking the OK button. After clicking the OK button, even if we open the Brightness/Contrast dialog box again and hit the Cancel button, nothing happens.

It doesn't matter anyway, since we can always use Ctrl/Command+Z to Undo. At worst, if you've already used up all of your Undo's, delete the Brightness/Contrast Dynamic Plugin Layer and start over again.

CGTalk Moderation
03-16-2007, 02:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.