PDA

View Full Version : Wich Version of Vue?

Pretorian
02-27-2007, 03:51 AM
Hello,

Me again...

I was wondering about wich version of Vue. Ok, when people seeing my thread they will answer "depends on what do you want", "depends on how much you want to spend", etc.. Well, by wich version I mean wich would be more complete? There is Easel, Esprit, Pro Studio, wich they say are for 3D Artists and xStream and Infinite for professionals. Wich is the diference between 3D arstist and professionals? By what I understood, the "for 3D arstist" work with/inside the 3D app and for professionals works like stand alone?

Then I saw they have Ozone plugin for atmosphere (skies, etc..), ecosystems, vegetation, etc... So, I mean, wich has everything together? If I wanna create a landscape with all features, wich "pack" should I use? I believe that would be something between xStream and Infinite? By the way, if Infinite is more complete (at least it seems), why itīs price is $695 and xStream $895? Perhaps because of some networking managing system or team solution capability? In terms of features, wich would be more complete?

Pirates of Caribbean scenes was made with Infinite, I think. Was it made just with this pack or any thirdy pack like Ozone, etc..?

I would like some help on deciding about wich version choosing :) .

Thanks

Wabe
02-27-2007, 06:24 AM
Ok, let's try to sort it out.

Easel - this is entry level. More or less work with predefined items. Import an item in a predefined scene and render it - and be happy. This is the purpose of that pack, even when I shortened it of course.

Esprit - next level, adds some more control about materials for example.

Extra modules - these add functionality to Esprit. Like a plant editor, network rendering, more light control and ecosystems (generation 1), and some more.

Pro Studio - is Esprit with all extra modules directly integrated.

Infinite - the flagship right now. This has all features on the newest level. An option to paint items simply into the scene, better light and animation control, simply more features.

xStream - this is Infinite with one unique feature. It integrates Infinite into other major 3D applications. At the moment 3D Studio Max, Maya, Cinema 4D and Lightwave are supported (when I remember it right) - BUT ONLY FOR PC (no Mac yet). You then use Infinite inside the application you already have and mix the elements. Infinite then is responsable for it's own items (with it's own render engine), the host application for the rest.

Ozone - this is a plugin for 3d applications. To have Vue skies there. Nothing more really.

To find out what version contains what there is a comparitive chart on e-on's site. Here is the link:

Comparitive_Chart (http://www.e-onsoftware.com/products/?page=4)

Mike.H
02-27-2007, 07:00 AM
to follow up on walthers post to me v6 Infinite is the best vue version and the most feature rich.

granted xStream is infinite + above mentioned feature/ability but unless youīre working in a studio youīll do just fine with the standard vue6 infinite version and even then v6i works real well.

as for comparing infinite/xstream with the other v6 versions, like esprit,easel and prostudio, in my opinion if you can afford v6 infinite, you should get it, itīs that much better, but of course you do pay more for it.

Itīs not that the other versions arent good, v6 esprit is a great application, itīs just that once youīve tried the extra features of infinite (ecosystems 2 for one example) you realy notice the difference while working.

stevecullum
02-27-2007, 12:39 PM
If you use another 3D app, then I would get xStream as it makes intergrating elements easy. Vue isnt really a full modelling app, although you can import geometry. So if you want to do arch viz type things then spend the extra IMO.

If on the other hand you will just be doing landscapes - Infinite is the way to go.

Absinthe-Graphics
02-28-2007, 11:13 AM
Just donīt expect too much, because you wrote about "Pirates of Caribbean" made with Vue. In fact this is just clever marketing. What was made in Vue are more or less just some trees in the far distance. The main part is mattepainting!!!

Iīll look for a link and post it later!

Absinthe-Graphics
02-28-2007, 11:17 AM
Here is the link. See in the description how little was actually done with Vue!

http://home.comcast.net/~cstoski/pirates2_01.html

Pretorian
03-01-2007, 12:32 AM
Thanks, I guess thinks are more clear now.

I read the article about "Pirates of Caribbean" and seems he has used lot of matte painting indeed. Even there, he talk about using Vue too.

I will make a try on Vue and see what hapends. By the way, where can I get some tutorials to make a start? Perhaps I should post a new thread...

Thanks

Mike.H
03-01-2007, 05:01 AM
well i would like to say that mattepainting and vue goes hand in hand so thatīs why heīs speaking of both mattepainting and vue.

vue is a great tool for any mattepaint artist since it isnt just 2d it involves 3d aswell, in my humble opinion that is.

as for tutorials, youīll find quite alot of information and help over at www.cornucopia3d.com (http://www.cornucopia3d.com) both textual and video based tuts and or links to more resources and welcome to vueland :)

cogwheeldesigns
03-01-2007, 07:18 AM
I will make a try on Vue and see what hapends. By the way, where can I get some tutorials to make a start? Perhaps I should post a new thread...

Honestly, if you are new to Vue the AsileFx DVD on Vue6 basics is invaluable.

http://www.asilefx.com/product.php?ProductCategoryID=27&ProductID=56

IvanB
03-01-2007, 10:45 AM
Heres some tutes, and a few basic example video.

http://www.esnips.com/profile/40dacfe2-91ce-475f-84e5-1805f766e6b9

cogwheeldesigns
03-01-2007, 10:47 AM
Oh yes, IvanB's tuts are very very helpfull too. They served me well in the past. Thanks for that!

CGTalk Moderation
03-01-2007, 10:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.