PDA

View Full Version : showing ONLY an image on an object

fubbs
02-27-2007, 04:39 AM
hi-

I apologize if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find an answer (maybe I just wasn't phrasing my search correctly). I'm trying to texture map an image with an alpha channel on to an object, and only show the image (the object itself - in this case a basic grid - would be invisible). Also, is it best to use a .tga with an alpha, or can I use a .png? I'm sure this is fairly basic, but I can't seem to figure it out. Thanks in advance for your time.

jason-slab
02-27-2007, 09:56 AM
hi

try something like the image below, should give u a good starting point if i understand your question correctly :)

|jason

JDex
02-27-2007, 09:59 AM
Sounds like the Sprite shader may be what you need. The XSI guides under the help menu should clear up it's useage.

fubbs
02-28-2007, 12:04 AM
I think I've got this figured out - thanks for your suggestions. The render tree is still a bit of an enigma to me, but just experimenting with it has taught me a lot.

CGTalk Moderation
02-28-2007, 12:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.