PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Dancer, Matt Smith aka Shimuzu (3D)

Shimuzu
02-27-2007, 02:56 AM
http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/221656/221656_1172548603_medium.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/221656/221656_1172548603_large.jpg)

Title: Shadow Dancer
Name: Matt Smith aka Shimuzu
Software:

Satoko's last stand - she's come well prepared and she didn't come to lose. Rendered in Daz Studio, with postwork in Photoshop.

This was a study in lighting. Am slowly making my way through Digital Lighting and Rendering by Jeremy Birn, and I hope that what I have learnt is apparent - still a long way to go - but it has shed light (excuse the pun) on something I have been struggling with for a while. Crit on concept and Lights would be most appreciated.

l2k
02-27-2007, 11:27 AM
I think that the 2 huge spotlights in the background should glow over the arms of your lady.

and I would get rid of the glow on the blades.

and maybe more contrast...

spasticlizard
02-27-2007, 12:43 PM
This is really quite beautiful. But something is strange with the geometry...the distance between her collar bone and breasts is odd. Her upper body is too wide or her breasts are in too high or in the wrong place. I can't quite figure it out but something just looks strange there. Her face is really beautiful though, and the rest of her body looks fine, it's just from her rib cage to her neck that looks odd.

Now that I think about it, it might be the angle and the odd things I'm seeing may be an optical illusion, it's hard to tell.

edcorusa
02-27-2007, 12:49 PM
I really the the background. Very interesting. I agree about the blade being too white. Also the suit seems to be very shinning in someplaces and flat in others. And maybe zip up a little, I would be affraid she might loose something if she is spinning around fighting. :) Good Job.

Shimuzu
02-27-2007, 04:31 PM
This is really quite beautiful. But something is strange with the geometry...the distance between her collar bone and breasts is odd. Her upper body is too wide or her breasts are in too high or in the wrong place. I can't quite figure it out but something just looks strange there. Her face is really beautiful though, and the rest of her body looks fine, it's just from her rib cage to her neck that looks odd.

Now that I think about it, it might be the angle and the odd things I'm seeing may be an optical illusion, it's hard to tell.

Now that you mentioned it, I think you are right - it's very subtle but apparent. What it is . . . just to rest your curiosity - is that I maybe overstretched her a little too much. Arched the back, neck down and head forward. I wanted her head to overhang with a stary glare - but I think it detracts a little. Thanks for the heads up - will see what I can salvage.

Shimuzu
02-27-2007, 04:32 PM
I think that the 2 huge spotlights in the background should glow over the arms of your lady.

and I would get rid of the glow on the blades.

and maybe more contrast...

I'll give it a go and see how it pans out. Thanks.

Shimuzu
02-27-2007, 04:34 PM
I really the the background. Very interesting. I agree about the blade being too white. Also the suit seems to be very shinning in someplaces and flat in others. And maybe zip up a little, I would be affraid she might loose something if she is spinning around fighting. :) Good Job.

I think you're right - got a little carried away with the zip. Subtlety is often the key. Thanks.

suresh3dArtist
02-27-2007, 10:10 PM
Nice render.. lighting and colors r so cool man.. nice char design too.. details r great.. keep up the great work buddy.. :)

fantasizer
02-28-2007, 01:50 AM
As l2k said, rim light is not enough. You need not only rim light to describe the silhouette, but also the folds of the clothes and volume of the hair (the thinner the hair, the more translucent it looks). Moreover, the shadow she casts on the pipe doesn't seem to be correct. Keep it up.

MBazooka
02-28-2007, 08:28 AM
I like this style of girl. 5 Stars. But Shadow Dance not was a man????

lordym
02-28-2007, 02:13 PM
i like the background...your work is very good

Elinewton
03-01-2007, 03:03 PM
Nice model!! I guess the light need more work, but looks good for me!!
Congratulations!!

CGTalk Moderation
03-01-2007, 03:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.