PDA

View Full Version : Geometrical shapes

jumbowumbo2
02-27-2007, 02:24 AM
So I feel like I have a fair understanding of the tools in photoshop. The paintbrush, eye dropper and layer tools all seem straightforward, and I've got a grasp on 'em. What I don't know, however, is how to implement geometrical shapes or patterns into my paintings. When I try using the ellipse or rectangular tools, I feel caught up in all the extra layer masks and what not. Is there a simpler way of drawing patterns in paintings?

(By the way, I don't have any 3ds apps because my computer is too slow)

Thanks!

roguenroll
02-27-2007, 06:59 AM
try the shapes tool, theres tons of downloads to add to that folder. I assume its called shapes.
it might have maskes too (cant remember) , but can rasterize that layer after you created it.

BlueFlare
03-01-2007, 06:57 PM
how to implement geometrical shapes or patterns

Use shapes, vectors, repeated transform (see example), etc... it all depends on what you really want. Please, and I seem to be repeating that on many Photoshop forums; shows us some examples. :)

jumbowumbo2
03-01-2007, 10:55 PM
Here's a prime example of what I'm trying to convey.

http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/14/12065/12065_1170236405_large.jpg

Notice the sextagon in the BG. This would appear to be 3d based, but if it isn't, how might you get something like that.

This one also exmeplifies the use of geometric shapes in a perspective piece (the columns on the left side of the hangar in particular)http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/41826/41826_1172621748_large.jpg

And while I'm at it, is there any way to create a line of symmetry in photoshop (aside from flipping horizontally).

BlueFlare
03-02-2007, 04:55 AM
The first one is done with an image editor like Photoshop or Painter and no special tricks are involved, just a good understanding of perspective and descent drawing/painting skills. He probably used some overlaying grid to get the perspective right, but thatís about it. This grid might have been created in Photoshop with freehand drawing on a tablet or he might have scanned a sketch (which a lot of artists do).

The second one is clearly 3D with in my opinion some image editor texture work and retouching. Same story here; no special Photoshop tricks involved, these geometric shapes in perspective were all created in the 3D application. Itís actually pretty easy to model a wall like that in a 3D application, the lighting and texture work is what requires more skills.

But there is a better advice I can give you; ask the artists, they can give you all the answers you need.

And while I'm at it, is there any way to create a line of symmetry in photoshop (aside from flipping horizontally).I donít know exactly what you mean. Do you mean perspective lines? That can be done for example by using the vanishing point grid, which can be copied to the actual document by holding down the Alt key when you click on OK to leave this tool.

roguenroll
03-02-2007, 05:07 AM
check out gnomons mattepainting dvds they are great and go through everything you asked.

Neil
03-02-2007, 03:12 PM
most artists will find a pattern they want and draw over it on another layer. So for example if you like that pattern in the bg, find a honeycomb pattern online (search for bee stuff) and then put that in a layer. Distort it and stretch it to however you want. Make a new layer above it and copy over it.

It's not all just copy/paste. That's the whole point of what makes 2d art impressive on here. Because not everyone can do it and it does involved artist freedom since not everything can be referenced.

nSomnius
03-05-2007, 08:20 PM
If your computer can handle photoshop acceptably, it can handle Google SketchUp (http://sketchup.google.com/download.html)
Geometrical layout is dirt simple, perspective a snap, and keeping a white background and creating a separate layer in PS for the shape layout and changing the layer blending mode to multiply will give you a really handy guide. Thats just one interactive application, your imagination will provide others. : )
Google SketchUp is free. Happy Birthday.

xott
03-10-2007, 04:45 PM
Hey blue those are some pretty cool spirographs could you enlighten on your technique
thank you much

BlueFlare
03-11-2007, 07:36 AM
Hey blue those are some pretty cool spirographs could you enlighten on your technique thank you much

Basically it's all about repeating a transformation. First you draw the basic shape on a transparent layer (like stroked selections), then you press Ctrl+T to transform it (check options bar) and finish of with ENTER (sometimes you need to press ENTER twice depending on the transformation). Then by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Shift+T a few times you repeat the last transformation to get these patterns.

Of course you don't need to stick to stroked selections as shown in the following example:

berniebernie
03-11-2007, 10:54 AM
illustrator might be handy at times as it handles geometrey a billion gazillion times better...

xott
03-11-2007, 04:33 PM
Thank you muchly
thats going into my PS recipie book:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
03-11-2007, 04:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.