PDA

View Full Version : Gods Eye VUE / Vue+Maya

MrHobby
02-27-2007, 12:26 AM
Hi everyone.
This is two questions reguarding vue6xstream, i decided to post them togetther rather than make two threads.

1.) Here is an image from my portfolio that i wish to redo a whole lot better now that i know more about the tweeks of the software, and thanks to IvanB for the free online tutorials, they helped alot. In short i'm a maya head and got vue after watching the video on their website.
Here's the pic:

http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/221790/221790_1171943372_medium.jpg

The question is how do i get the grainyness out of the clouds?
I can use the atmosphere editor and tweek the controls until i get a clear cloud base, but the "God Rays" effects all render like this.
I can't quite figure out how to get the crystal clear image for the clouds i'm looking for.

2.) I originaly got Vue becuase the website says you can import/export scenes and objects from maya and vise versa. I haven't been able to figure this one out either.
I can import/export 3ds files but not max files which is weird also.
I use Maya for my base 3d software and want to be able to use this plug-in but the only ones i have found are for only single objects in .obj format.
Does anyone know about this one too?

Thanks in advance,
MrHobby

anevsky
02-28-2007, 12:16 AM
Vue 6 xtream is the version of Vue intended for working with maya. You can load Vue scenes into maya and render there as well as add objects in maya which will interact together with the vue terrain \ objects. In fact in side maya the vue scenes render much faster if you let mental ray render at negative minimum sampling for antialiasing.

There are bugs (re my other post) - this is not yet a clean workflow but hopefully the software will improve.

MrHobby
02-28-2007, 01:27 AM
I have maya 8.5 and it will not work with vue, it will only import/export .3ds files. The only way to get anything from vue to maya or vise versa is in .obj format.

stalkeron
02-28-2007, 05:58 AM
There is no exporter from Maya to Vue, only from Maya to Max. xStream has a lot more issues and bugs than the standalone version of Vue, I'd advise rendering with that when you can. Mental ray in maya does render 'certain' scenes fast(maybe just the atmosphere a bit faster than in standalone) but at higher quality that doesn't still apply.

good luck

bruno021
03-01-2007, 01:04 PM
In tyhe sky fog & haze tab of the atmosphere editor, there is "quality boost" slider, push it all the way to the right to get rid of grainy clouds. Use more AA than usual too.

If need be, reduce the fog and haze %, and reduce the scattering anisotrophy. But scattering anisotrophy is quite needed for godrays, so be careful with this slider.

MrHobby
03-01-2007, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the advise guys, i have some new renders underway.

I hope maya and vue work better together soon.

CGTalk Moderation
03-01-2007, 02:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.