PDA

View Full Version : Kites on forearm or Hand?

chickensandbeandip
02-27-2007, 12:50 AM
I know how to make high geometry go lower. That is not the problem. What I am wondering is the best place to put them. I have seen people kite on the forearms and I have seen people kite on the Hand. I know kites tend to deform badly so i was wondering where exactly is the best place to kite. I am guessing the forearm alittle before the wrist as there is only one rotation axis usually, but I was wondering if anyone found out specifically.
In the end i'll probably try both as noone really responds too much. But thanks in advance to those who do.

late.
:cool:

Diependaal
02-27-2007, 11:05 AM
actually the wrist itself has no rotation of the skin there.. so doing it there wouldnt be such a problem, but making sure you just dont have to do it is better, otherwise, wrist/ top of the hand is best caus there is allmost no deformation at all.

chickensandbeandip
02-27-2007, 09:57 PM
Yeah i know there isn't much movement on the hand. I was just wondering if there was a general concensus on the issue. Thanks.

late.

SylvanMist
02-27-2007, 10:06 PM
What exactly does "kite" mean in this context?

chickensandbeandip
02-27-2007, 11:23 PM
The technique used to reduce geometry by creating triangles then adding edges coming out of the flat part of the triangles, creating diamonds, or kite shapes. They don't generally deform well, so I was just wondering the best place to put them.
I can place a picture up if it would help.

late.

twedzel
02-28-2007, 12:44 AM
I'm not a big fan of kites. If they are not influencing your edgeflow then don't use them and terminate with a triangle or a redirection that makes sense for how your edges are running. Especially in both the forearms and the wrist. They are both high deformation areas. As a rigger I prefer that they have as even surface parameterisation as is possible. Back of the hand can work but I prefer to have a strait forward edge flow layout following the tendons and allowing the hand (the metacarpals) to curl as well as considering skin stretch etc as the knuckles curl.

chickensandbeandip
02-28-2007, 04:18 AM
Here is the image of what i intend on doing. I am aiming for a low geo body and want to model the hands. If i can one peice.

late.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a207/chickensandbeandip/edge.jpg

Diependaal
02-28-2007, 05:43 AM
i see what you want to do, aldo i find the difference a little bit to much between your hand density and arm,

but if you want it to, i would start reducing just above the wrist on the hand.. the top of the hand has no detail at the area allmost, that is alsowhere the finger bones are gone.

CGTalk Moderation
02-28-2007, 05:43 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.