PDA

View Full Version : Mimicking Maya hair behaviour?

musi
02-26-2007, 11:26 AM
Hej,

In our production we are forced to use Maya Complete, and therefore don't have access to Maya hair dynamics. We need to setup dynamic overlapping motion of animal whiskers.
We did some tests with particles and soft bodies, but results are not good enough.

If anybody knows a god way of mimicking Maya hair behaviour pleas help.

Thanks.

thematt
02-26-2007, 04:04 PM
honnestly maya dynamics was your best bet..if it doesn't work, wou're going to have a hard time mimic hair behavior.
If you have a tird party cloth solver such as syflex, you could use that as a dynamic simulation.
Else you could also maybe use rigid body that would drive the motion of constraint point, but you'll get similar result with the particles, I think.
I have already done it particles softbodies, and it land me good result, also try to use a drag field to make the motion more realistic, and spring to connect the particles with each other.(I supposed you did that so but in case).

good luck

cheers

sunit
02-26-2007, 04:49 PM
hi sasha,

it's relatively straightforward to write a particle expression solver that mimics simple hair dynamics - the most important step is just making sure that each particle stays a fixed distance from the particle before it along your softbody spline. once you've got that working, you can work out other constraints - such as stiffness (an angle constraint) - and overlapping motion (which is basically adding a fraction of the velocity at each step).

having said that, you can also use joints and the spline ik solver, where the ik splines are softbodies that have goals. you can control the goalPP along the length of the spline so that you get more motion near the tip than at the base. the goal spline should then be constrained to the underlying surface. since you'll be skinning to the joints - which are just rotation driven by the solver - you can also be sure that you won't have any stretching.

-sunit

ps. didn't we cover particle expressions in my class? if you have the time, try out the particle solver, although the other solution is probably a bit easier.

CGTalk Moderation
02-26-2007, 04:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.