PDA

View Full Version : Fixing a Scanned Image

SuperMax
02-26-2007, 04:46 AM
How does one go about fixing this scanned image?

http://img150.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scannedti1.jpg

prixatw
02-26-2007, 12:30 PM
If you mean the moire pattern, I'm sure everyone has ther own method.

I would increase the image size, use a combination of noise reduction and blur as appropriate then reduce the image again. So far (I have PS7) I have not found a better solution then the Moire filter that comes with Corel Photopaint! :eek::)

Quadart
02-26-2007, 04:32 PM
The Photoshop Noise filter Dust and Scratches will get rid of thse hot points and general print moire also.

Filter/Noise/Dust & Scratches (tweak threshold to satisfaction)

BlueFlare
02-27-2007, 05:00 AM
I have not found a better solution then the Moire filter that comes with Corel Photopaint!

prixatw, that's because you never tried the Fourier Transform plug-in. ;)

kiwi8
02-27-2007, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the Fourier Transform plug-in tip, looks like a real winner and its free.

BlueFlare
03-01-2007, 05:43 PM
Yes, it's the best you can get to remove moire patterns (and I've tested quite a lot).
That web site only shows how it can be used for gray scale images, but with a little trick you can also use it for color images, like the one with the cat:

http://www.lunacore.com/blog/?p=87

However for the image posted in this forum thread it's not going to be very effective, since the main problem is not moire.

Neil
03-02-2007, 02:17 PM
prixatw, that's because you never tried the Fourier Transform plug-in. ;)

Wow, never seen that before. Looks excellent! That would have helped me a lot in the past :(

nSomnius
03-05-2007, 07:27 PM
Scan it again with a descreening filter, if you have the source image.

ThePhotographer
03-06-2007, 01:02 AM
This looks like some printed material scanned in. I'm sorry, I don't think that there's much you can do about it .... Printed material will always have this kind of "noise".

A better way to go around would be to take a photo of the painting if it's in a museum close to you.

CGTalk Moderation
03-06-2007, 01:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.