PDA

View Full Version : Eek! Colours? GUI in Shake.

TheSoracle
02-25-2007, 09:02 PM
Help. I just installed Shake, and look what happened? Could this have anything to do with my graphics card? I am on a MacBook by the way.

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/8536/picture1tr5.th.png (http://img167.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture1tr5.png)

Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks.

JshuFX
02-26-2007, 12:42 PM
ATI card of Nvidia card?

I know on a PC if you have an ATI card the same thing will happen and the solution is adding an environmental variable overriding an Open GL issue

I couldn't tell you how to do that on a mac though

beaker
02-26-2007, 08:23 PM
Upgrade to the newest version of 10.4

adisan
02-27-2007, 06:35 AM
there's nothing u can do, macbooks have intel embeded graphics. no opengl so no UI for shake. unless someone wrote an opengl graphics driver you have no luck.

beaker
02-27-2007, 08:33 AM
Intel graphics does have opengl. It's just a really crappy card. So without the newest osx update which includes the newest drivers, your bound to have issues.

adisan
02-27-2007, 08:49 AM
i was planning to get one myself but after testing shake on it i decided not to, due to the opengl issues i noticed. opengl on mac has serious issues, any pc with a decent card beats the crap out of any mac with quadro 4500 card. i kind of had them all in my studio. pc rules in opengl mac sucks. you just have to get used with this as i have since despite the opengl issues i kind'of switched to mac due to the operating ystem and stability that windows just sucks at. we use a lot of maya and shake and opengl is an isue but i will not give the speed of windows opengl to the stability and memory management of osx.

if anyone managed to make the macbook work decently with opengl just let me know so i can buy one right away.

cheers

RAZ22
02-27-2007, 10:54 PM
I know this won't be counted as "useful", but I just have to say it....

Color correction with that setup would be a BITCH! ;)

beaker
02-27-2007, 11:57 PM
why? I've done CC with shake on an ibook and it was fine. It isn't exactly a taxing operation.

RAZ22
02-28-2007, 01:17 AM
beaker,

No no...you misunderstood me. :)

I was actually being sarcastic - referring to the red color being distracting to the eyes after many strenuous hours of color correction.

I wasn't referring to the operation of the MacBook. :)

Aneks
02-28-2007, 05:01 AM
i was planning to get one myself but after testing shake on it i decided not to, due to the opengl issues i noticed. opengl on mac has serious issues, any pc with a decent card beats the crap out of any mac with quadro 4500 card. i kind of had them all in my studio. pc rules in opengl mac sucks. you just have to get used with this as i have since despite the opengl issues i kind'of switched to mac due to the operating ystem and stability that windows just sucks at. we use a lot of maya and shake and opengl is an isue but i will not give the speed of windows opengl to the stability and memory management of osx.

if anyone managed to make the macbook work decently with opengl just let me know so i can buy one right away.

cheers

After years of using 3d on SGI and PC I know how you feel. But frankly I think this is not much of an issue anymore. I run Shake and Maya on my Mac Pro with a GeForce 7300 and frankly its fine. Running Shake on my macbook Pro is fine as well. I think the Open GL has more than stablised on the newer machines. However, the reality is that if you are running an app which REQUIRES open GL on a system without a dedicated graphics card, or at least a decent openGL card you are asking for trouble !

adisan
02-28-2007, 06:53 AM
shake works fine on almost all mac machines that have a graphics card. it runs badly on those systems that have inegrated graphics - that's all. it just sucks at the 17" iMac 1.83Ghz, macMini and macBooks. all the other systems are running shake without glitches.

osxrules
03-13-2007, 01:28 PM
I've run Shake on a Macbook and a Mini and I've never had that issue. I had the PSD rendering bug in 4.0, which took me a little while to figure out so I got the universal 4.1 version and it's running nicely. The one problem I have on the integrated cards is that the scrolling is choppy and occasionally there are graphical glitches at certain zooms in the viewer but it's pretty fast. I actually think the Intel build is better optimized than the PPC version because some renders on a dual core Mini are taking the same time as on a quad G5. Usually, the Mini is about 1/3rd of the speed of the quad but for the price, it's a very capable compositing machine.

@OP: what version of Shake are you running that causes the red interface?

adisan
03-13-2007, 03:04 PM
4.1 tested on intel mac book.

thomaspecht
03-18-2007, 03:20 PM
this might be obvious but did you try to set NR_OPENGL_RENDER = 0? there are probably other env variables that affect how much of the UI is done with hardware acceleration, check the manual for that.

no apple experience here, only irix, windows and linux i'm afraid.

CGTalk Moderation
03-18-2007, 03:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.