PDA

View Full Version : purge clipboard

rattsang
02-25-2007, 08:34 PM
hi everyone

looking to purge the clipboard on painter 9.5....................is it possible without having to close the program- ive noticed that when trying to print screen i can only do it once b4 i have to close the program- otherwise it keeps pasting the first image....how annoying.

thanks in advance

rat

Jinbrown
02-25-2007, 09:57 PM
rat,

Why would you be pasting without having just copied what you wanted to paste? In other words, if you're unhappy having the previous screen print appear the next time you paste, what did you expect to be pasted, unless you just made another selection and copied it, or made a screen print to paste?

In fact, that's exactly how it's supposed to work.

It's not annoying that Painter keeps the last selection made in Painter in memory for anyone who wants to paste the same copied selection more than once.

If you're concerned about keeping a large selection in Painter's memory, make a very small selection on a blank area of the Canvas, then copy it.

Of course, unless you've copied something else, the next time you paste, that will be what's pasted (the small copied selection).

Normally, a Painter user (or any other software user) doesn't try to paste something unless they just copied what they wanted to paste, so it would seem unlikely they'd paste the small copied selection anyway.

Per-Anders
02-25-2007, 10:03 PM
rat,

Why would you be pasting without having just copied what you wanted to paste? In other words, if you're unhappy having the previous screen print appear the next time you paste, what did you expect to be pasted, unless you just made another selection and copied it, or made a screen print to paste?

It's not annoying that Painter keeps the last selection made in Painter in memory for anyone who wants to paste the same copied selection more than once.

If you're concerned about keeping a large selection in Painter's memory, make a very small selection on a blank area of the Canvas, then copy it.

Of course, unless you've copied something else, the next time you paste, that will be what's pasted (the small copied selection).

Normally, a Painter user (or any other software user) doesn't try to paste something unless they just copied what they wanted to paste, so it would seem unlikely they'd paste the small copied selection anyway.

He's talking about the clipboard not being freed, and in fact it not pasting the last image but just the first image that was copied using the printscreen command, nothing about only wanting to paste the once per copy command.

This is actually a problem that seems to occur with the standard printscreen command in windows, you have to either bring up the clipboard tool in windows or use photoshops purge to clear the buffer, I'm not sure why the buffer blocks subsiquent screen captures but it does. I've found it better to replace this functionality on my computer with ScreenPrint32 which also allows you to just select the area or window to capture (and optionally allows you to save this to the disk on capture), much more like working on a Mac.

rattsang
02-25-2007, 10:08 PM
rat,

hi jin

thats not what i mean- try this yourself:

open painter 9.5
press print screen on your keyboard
then go to edit > paste as new image

then try and do a different screen shot again using the print screen

you may have to try this several times.....ive tested it and it doesnt always happpen the same- at times i can keep coping and pasting images but not always

i have 2gig of ram

well basicly , sometimes it just keeps pasting the old image- yet photoshop pastes the new image.....weird!

rattsang
02-25-2007, 10:12 PM
He's talking about the clipboard not being freed, and in fact it not pasting the last image but just the first image that was copied using the printscreen command, nothing about only wanting to paste the once per copy command.

This is actually a problem that seems to occur with the standard printscreen command in windows, you have to either bring up the clipboard tool in windows or use photoshops purge to clear the buffer, I'm not sure why the buffer blocks subsiquent screen captures but it does. I've found it better to replace this functionality on my computer with ScreenPrint32 which also allows you to just select the area or window to capture (and optionally allows you to save this to the disk on capture), much more like working on a Mac.

thank you Per-Anders your post has enlightened me- using the windows clipboard will be my quick fix for now, thanks again

Jinbrown
02-25-2007, 10:13 PM
Hi,

I should have made it clear that I understood rat wanted to clear Painter's private clipboard and I don't know a way to do that, other than to close the program.

I, too, am a Windows user (WinXP Home) and don't experience the problem you and rat describe, having a previous screen print pasted instead of a following, most recent, copy pasted.

Just tested this with Painter X in several scenarios and it works as expected. When I do a screen print, that's what's pasted. Then if I copy a selection, the copied selection is pasted.... until..... I do one of the following which makes a new copy stored in Painter's memory, which becomes the next thing that's pasted:

Copy a Layer
Copy a Group
Copy another selection
Do another screen print

Am I not understanding something? If so, please let me know.

Jinbrown
02-25-2007, 10:25 PM
hi jin

thats not what i mean- try this yourself:

open painter 9.5
press print screen on your keyboard
then go to edit > paste as new image

then try and do a different screen shot again using the print screen

you may have to try this several times.....ive tested it and it doesnt always happpen the same- at times i can keep coping and pasting images but not always

i have 2gig of ram

well basicly , sometimes it just keeps pasting the old image- yet photoshop pastes the new image.....weird!

Okey dokey. I'll try it. Be back in a few after giving it enough time to screw up (if that happens)...

Jinbrown
02-25-2007, 11:49 PM
rat,

In Painter IX.5/WinXP Home, I did six screen prints and Edit > Paste Into New Image without a problem. Of course I had not been working in Painter IX.5 for hours with other large images with multiple Layers, etc., and also had not been working on my computer for more than an hour and a half, today. In other words, my system resources, and Painter's memory, had not yet been pushed too far.... yet.

Here are the pasted screen prints reduced to 34%:

http://www.pixelalley.com/demos/scrnprnt_repeat_copypaste01.jpg

http://www.pixelalley.com/demos/scrnprnt_repeat_copypaste02.jpg

http://www.pixelalley.com/demos/scrnprnt_repeat_copypaste03.jpg

http://www.pixelalley.com/demos/scrnprnt_repeat_copypaste04.jpg

http://www.pixelalley.com/demos/scrnprnt_repeat_copypaste05.jpg

http://www.pixelalley.com/demos/scrnprnt_repeat_copypaste06.jpg

I recorded a script to make a small rectangular selection on the Canvas, copy it, then clear the selection. The point was to be able to clear the previous screen print or copy from Painter's internal clipboard if Painter began to balk, and started pasting the previous screen print instead of the most recent screen print or copied item.

I'd be happy to share my script with you but it would probably not run properly for you since you'd need to have everthing set up as I do.

Here's how to record the script... easy.. and it only takes a minute or so:

1. In the Scripts palette menu, choose Record Script.

2. In the Layers palette, highlight Canvas.

3. Click the R key to activate the Rectangular Selection tool.

4. Drag to make a small rectangular selection on the Canvas.

5. Use Ctrl/Command+C to copy the selection.

6. Use Ctrl/Command+D to clear the selection.

7. In the Scripts palette menu, choose Stop Recording Script and give it a descriptive name.

8. Drag the script icon into a Custom Palette and it'll take a single click on the icon to run the script.

toastyovens
02-26-2007, 12:38 AM
Doesn't happen to me... IX or X.

brenly
02-26-2007, 10:25 AM
I recon its more a windows problem .. Ive had the same problem in other programs, Ive had situations where i needed to reboot my machine to get the print screen to work. PSs purge didnt work.

rattsang
02-26-2007, 10:39 AM
I recon its more a windows problem .. Ive had the same problem in other programs, Ive had situations where i needed to reboot my machine to get the print screen to work. PSs purge didnt work.

ok guys thanks for the replies...... sounds like a windows problem to me too, guess ill just have to live with it

rattsang
03-01-2007, 01:56 PM
after more testing ive found it isnt a problem with windows clipboard, simply because when i cant paste the new image (screen print) in painter the clipboard has the right image in it , and photoshop can paste the right image

Jinbrown
03-02-2007, 01:55 AM
Again, since I'm a WinXP Home SP2 user and the print screen copy/paste problem doesn't happen to me, if it is a Windows problem, it's only for some users.

If it ever happens to me, I'll try to remember post in this thread to let you know.

brenly
03-02-2007, 02:18 AM
Ive heard poeple bitching about how the print screen doesnt work. Seems to be a random event. Clip board is definitely more stable in PS than Painter ... Another quirck of Painter I dont see being remedied in the forseeable future.

CGTalk Moderation
03-02-2007, 02:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.