PDA

View Full Version : How to measure an organic line?

zachalbert
02-25-2007, 06:17 PM
Greetings. Sorry if this is a silly question, but I've been digging for an answer for a while and have nothing so far.

I am a graphic designer modelling a book so that I can map the book covers I've designed onto it for display in my portfolio. So, this book I'm modelling has to be very accurate in terms of measurements and proportions (don't want my designs warping). And realistic as well. So my question is how do I measure the length of the folded book jacket? It can't just be a box, because I want it to have warps and bends like a real book jacket folded over a book. So you can see what I'm talking about, here's what I have so far, with just a base red color for the jacket.

Basically, the height is obviously easy to get. But how do I get the width? (I have the unfolded book jacket image that I want mapped onto that book jacket that bends around). What is the easiest way to map this to make sure that there will be no stretching and that the width corresponds to the real image?

Thanks!

http://zachalbert.com/previews/bookpreview.jpg

scrimski
02-25-2007, 07:51 PM
Which program?
In Max it is possible to measure the length of a spline, independent from its shape.

zachalbert
02-25-2007, 08:37 PM
Sorry, forgot to include that useful bit of info :). Yes, I am using Max!

How do you do this? I didn't see anything like this in the spline modify panel? Thanks.

digital_babu
02-25-2007, 08:44 PM
utilities panel, 'measure' utility.

zachalbert
02-25-2007, 08:50 PM
Thanks a lot! That's exactly what I was looking for.

CGTalk Moderation
02-25-2007, 08:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.