PDA

View Full Version : AncientSwarm

jasondesigns
02-25-2007, 02:52 PM
Hey everyone, thought I'de give this competition a shot, and rep the CG Society. Heres my first concept.

Still some things I might change about her armor and weapons.

Story:

Summoned to hunt down and dispatch any being that will upset the balance that the CG Society has established throughout the universe. She releases the sight of a million eyes to scour the land for her adversaries. Ancient armor and weapons forged by her insect minions, from which even a small wound from them will expose the victim to fatal venom. Ancient Swarm has arisen.

XeroWolf
02-26-2007, 07:41 PM
Hey that's a really interesting concept jason. I'm wondering though how you are going to model the swarm. As effects?

jasondesigns
02-26-2007, 11:46 PM
Thanks...

Dunno yet may, not have the swarm for the model though it would be cool... I might just in clude the larger insects... and depending on the comp. rules, and the polycount dont know if I can include all 4... so We'll see... gotta get on it tho, I entered kinda late :D

jasondesigns
03-09-2007, 06:15 AM
Been a while thought I'de post my additional sketches... gotta get on the modeling, Only 10 days to go!:eek:

jasondesigns
03-17-2007, 01:14 PM
I will post all my WIP images to this point crits welcome and appreciated.
initial modeling WIP:
Character and pet construction

jasondesigns
03-17-2007, 01:19 PM
This is the wip of her wasp minions...The wasp only has 2 legs modeled because the other 4 will be duplicates, tweaked.

jasondesigns
03-17-2007, 01:32 PM
These are screencaps of the textured model. As you can see the wasp is pretty optimized... Since she has 4 of them, I need to keep them under 250 tris each. The one shown is 244 tris.
I was able to keep my character at 4988 tris.. So character + 4 minions = 5964 tris. I will probably use the remaining polys for her cape attachments so they arent so Jaggy.

jasondesigns
03-17-2007, 01:37 PM
I am so glad the deadline has been extended!:bounce: Now I can fix the things I dont like. Namely the shin plates and some more details on the armor. I will also add some throwing blades since I have only used 200 tris of my alloted 1000 for weapons.

Please give me some crits guys... thanks

jasondesigns
03-17-2007, 01:45 PM
Oh yeah almost forgot... Has anybody out there had a problem with crashes using Maya's hardware renderer with Cgfx shaders?? Everytime I try to do a hardware render I get an endless hourglass... then when I press escape to abort the render the image appears, but if I try to do another render I get a crash, telling me there is a runtime error. Anybody know how to solve this?

XeroWolf
03-18-2007, 04:10 PM
Wow that's amazing progress I've make on your model. I'm amazmed at the amount of detail you were able to put into it in a short space of time. It looks almost done, keep it.:thumbsup:

jasondesigns
03-19-2007, 02:32 AM
Thanks Roger... Ya I was staying up until 4 & 5 in the morning trying to finish by the 19th.. There are a lot of things I want to fix... by the way what is you opinion on the eyes? Do you think she should have pupils? I kind of like her without them. but now I can refine some of the details since we have till the 26th.

Anybody else got crits or suggestions?
Or anybody else had similar probs rendering cgfx with Maya's hardware rendrer.

eMysfit
03-22-2007, 01:46 AM
Looks awesome to me! I must have completely missed your thread. Instantly one of my favorites though...I have been pretty busy the past couple weeks though I think I probably missed alot of threads heh.

I vote no pupils...I think it looks great the way it is, but I do have to work in 6 hours and have only gotten 5 hours of sleep the past 3 days so...I dunno how much I'd listen to me haha. So keep up the good work!

jasondesigns
03-22-2007, 09:52 AM
Heres a viewport screencap od a test for the swarm... I asked at the Dominance War forum... about what would be ok... I initially wanted to use a mesh referenced particles, but they suggested I use 2D sprites for the swarm... So everthing should be kosher as far as the rules go. I think the swarm works pretty well.

jasondesigns
03-22-2007, 09:55 AM
I also set up a file for my beauty renders... here are some initial renders... CRITS WELCOME>>>

jasondesigns
03-22-2007, 09:58 AM
One more beaty render of the model in a different pose, with the larger pet wasps attached to her body. CRITS WELCOME:)

jasondesigns
03-23-2007, 04:02 PM
putting my final images together, will spend tomorrow for the beauty shot, thought I should post everybodies probably busy... but comments are welcome. These images have compression, the finals will be crisper.

jasondesigns
03-25-2007, 03:49 AM
here's my beauty image(with compression) I would post my texture, but i have run out of attachment space(I gotta set up my websit, so I can link images) Anyway....I submittted my finals... so Im calling it done! Long live the CG Society! :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
03-25-2007, 03:49 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.