PDA

View Full Version : My First MattePainting: Finished or [WiP]?

MogyFlow
02-25-2007, 01:40 PM
Hello All :)

Somewhere I've red a tutorial about MattePainting. I thought creating an easy MatteP would be a nice project for this sunday. For the beginning I just wanted to create a castle in an ocean. The picture should have an dreamy-comic-touch.
What do you think? Some things more that need to be done? Perhaps start completely new?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Greetings,
MogyFlow

nickmarshallvfx
02-25-2007, 08:31 PM
As far as composition goes, it is a little boring, but I think you did a good job. Keep working at it, and try and get a more exciting composition next time, with more elements. You integrated everything well though. One thing to bear in mind is that for matte painting the aim is photorealism, and when you start going for a comic book style it becomes more illustration than matte painting.

Keep it up

Nick

MogyFlow
02-25-2007, 10:21 PM
Hello Nick :)

Thanks for your answer. Yes, the picture is absolutely boring. Next time I will try to achieve photorealism and a better composition. I will do another MP next weekend: Any ideas for the next task?

Greetings,
MogyFlow

JJASSO
02-25-2007, 10:27 PM
I think that you first learn about landscape composition rules, something about linear perspective, camera exposure, , before doing another visit the tutorials section inside this matte painting forums you will find very interesting stuff in there, and you will do a better execution with more interesting elements to see

Quantium
02-25-2007, 11:02 PM
I think it's a good start, but I would try to give it some sort of mood. Personally, I would make it a "scary" shot, using lots of fog, and make it seem evil looking.

CGTalk Moderation
02-25-2007, 11:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.