PDA

View Full Version : MentalRay "render by 0.5" causes renders to loose details....

NEO^AMiGA
02-25-2007, 12:42 PM
I have a sequence that originates from a dynamic simulation. I have to render it "by 0.5" since the sequence is about to be interlaced in post. the problem is that when i render with mentalray and by 0.5 i loose ALOT of detail in my renders. The attached image shows the "same" frame rendered "by 1" and "by 0.5". All other settings are exactly the same.

The coins do have a combo of displacement map and bump map. Approximation editor used and settings are as follows:

Approx Method: Spatial
Approx Style: Fine
Min Subdiv: 0
Max subdiv: 4
Length: .5
View dependent.

Have i missed something that mentalRay needs when rendering something else then "by 1". Can't see how it would differ, but obviously it does.

The picture:
http://www.irry.com/neo/bilder/temp/3d/MrDetailsBy05.png

NEO^AMiGA
02-25-2007, 01:31 PM
Acctually seems like this is a command line render problem. When batch rendering from within maya I don't get this strangeness, know on wood. So maybe I have missed that some flag must be sent with "render -r mr" other then "-b 0.5" and the other obvious ones...

I have a sequence that originates from a dynamic simulation. I have to render it "by 0.5" since the sequence is about to be interlaced in post. the problem is that when i render with mentalray and by 0.5 i loose ALOT of detail in my renders. The attached image shows the "same" frame rendered "by 1" and "by 0.5". All other settings are exactly the same.

The coins do have a combo of displacement map and bump map. Approximation editor used and settings are as follows:

Approx Method: Spatial
Approx Style: Fine
Min Subdiv: 0
Max subdiv: 4
Length: .5
View dependent.

Have i missed something that mentalRay needs when rendering something else then "by 1". Can't see how it would differ, but obviously it does.

The picture:
http://www.irry.com/neo/bilder/temp/3d/MrDetailsBy05.png

NEO^AMiGA
02-25-2007, 10:33 PM
Oh my God... It took me many many hours to solve this. I was way off in my troubleshooting. I have a script that creates a polygoin coin and then attaches it to 100 proxyCoins (rigidBodies). In that script I had used the wrong sort of duplication on the hiPolyCoin. So it didn't duplicate input connections. So i guess MR calculated the displacement when the object still was far away off screen. And once it apeared on screen it didn't recalculate it or something.

Anyways, it took me almost one day to find that silly thing. But just wanted to say that it seems like it's solved.

CGTalk Moderation
02-25-2007, 10:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.