PDA

View Full Version : skin weights acting weird

skater363636
02-25-2007, 03:35 AM
hey, I've been working with a character for about 3 days now on the skin weights and they look pretty good in maya. When I take it in to MB everything is fine untile I characterize it and activate the rig. As soon as the rig is active the skin goes really funny but only in part of the charater, the head an chest. That has blend shapes and a couple influence objects on it but thats it. I'm useing MB 7.5 and maya 8.5 and the FBX converter that comes with it. Heres a screenshot of the issue

skater363636
02-25-2007, 03:39 AM
sorry heres the pic

Sammer
02-25-2007, 06:01 AM
It could be somethings like an objects axis is at the world origin instead of object or local space, i.e. you want it to affect the chest (and it does in Maya) but MB only sees the 0,0,0 coordinates.

It may be as simple as moving the offending objects pivot point from the world origin up to the 'chestal' area (yes... 'chestal' is the technical term). It may also be a result of the need to 'freeze transforms' or a little 'deletion of history' situation. I animate in Maya but I don't rig with it so I'm not exactly sure which is needed here, of course that depends on what's outta whack too....

It may also be that you have something set up in Maya that doesn't transfer well to MB. I have MB 7 and Maya 6.5 and there are many things that won't go between the two apps. I'm sure it works much better now with newer releases and Autodesk having owned both apps for a while.

Good luck

mkapfhammer
03-01-2007, 08:50 PM
Try opening up the skins window and see if the mesh is still weighted to the correct object. Exporting to fbx can be an 'iffy' chance of an accurate conversion.

If you don't need perfect feedback on the mesh deformations, you could use the Skins window and roughly adjust the weighting so you can move on. I would test some motion on it and bring it back into maya to see if you encounter any issues before commiting to the set-up.

Otherwise, what Sammer mentioned is most likely what's causing the issue. The only thing that seemes different is that when I saw those type of issues, they appeared at import - not characterization. I was using Maya 7 and MB 7 at the time.

CGTalk Moderation
03-01-2007, 08:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.