PDA

View Full Version : Confidence!

wasker
02-24-2007, 10:30 PM
Hi there,
I started pencil drawing rather recently and I've been doing a lot of studies lately. However, when drawing without a reference I struggle with creating clean lines. I always got a pretty clear idea of what I'm aiming at with the picture but when I try to draw it I do these small sketchy lines all the time and it bugs the hell out of me. They completely ruin the picture and after a few erases the paper I'm working on is pretty much wasted as well. My current pencil goal is a sort of exaggerated anatomy. I also got a problem of implementing the anatomy knowledge I'm supposed to get from the studies I do. Without references I constantly get it all wrong even if the mental image is correct. My characters also end up unnaturally stiff and in poses that suggest they are dolls or suffer from rigor mortis :/

Can someone perhaps give me some pointers on how to start drawing without references, how to develop my pencil confidence and get cleaner lines? I don't expect an answer that will magically turn me into a fully developed artist (we never do develop fully either for that matter), but perhaps something along the way of what I should study and more importantely HOW I should implement this knowledge.

I got a picture as well to show an artist who got a really crisp style and obviously knowledge of anatomy. It might be inked but I'd like to believe that this picture didn't originally start as a nest of lines as my pictures tend to. I'm speaking of the picture now, not the model. :p

http://www.rackham-store.com/boutique_us/images_produits/FRDVRG02_1.jpg

Rebeccak
02-24-2007, 10:39 PM
wasker,

You should post this to Gangus' thread: :)

TUTORIAL - Figurative Concept Pieces - by Gangus (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=199&t=458921)
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=199&t=458921

I think he'd be flattered by the question and would have a lot of useful advice. :thumbsup:

wasker
02-25-2007, 10:33 AM
Ok, thanks Becca :) I'll do that, delete or archive this thread,

Cheers

BACAA
03-06-2007, 05:31 AM
Hi Oscar: I can understand your frustration one way to simplify the execution of your lines is to to draw single lines in very short distances perhaps as short as about 1/2" and consider rounding your lines because the human form has convexities. As you begin to draw stop your line and make a small indication or a small point where the next form begins, and so you will be drawing a series of rounded lines and short distances to the next point. You might consider checking out Tony Ryder's Complete Guide To Figure Drawing or Ted Seth Jacobs Light for the Artist and Drawing with an Open Mind. I hope this helps.

wasker
03-11-2007, 05:43 PM
Tha nk you Linda, great tips. I'll be checking out Ted and Tony's books first thing in the morning when the library opens!

Drawing from one spot to another? Never tried that technique, but I'll give it a shot. :)

Thank you!:)

BACAA
03-11-2007, 09:13 PM
Hi Oscar:

Anytime I am more than happy to answer any drawing questions or concerns you may have. You will find Teds Books Drawing with an Open Mind and Light for the Aritist very helpful as you begin to really slow down and observe who the small shapes of the form interact with one another. It's fascinating.
Best Regards,
Linda

CGTalk Moderation
03-11-2007, 09:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.