PDA

View Full Version : animation short: Praetorians cinematic

Enrique Gato
02-28-2003, 12:37 PM
Hello everybody! :D

I want to show you the cinematics made for the new Pyrostudios videogame "Praetorians". All the visual work was made by a team of four people (including me).

Praetorians cinematic (http://perso.wanadoo.es/enriquegato/praetorians_intro_400x300.avi)

Praetorians cinematic (mirror link) (http://www.3dluvr.com/gato/videos/praetorians_intro_400x300.avi)

Praetorians cinematic (mirror link 2) (http://www.3dd2.com/praetorians_intro_400x300.avi) - rightclick and save target as for this link
(Thanks to Nanosky3d (http://www.3dd2.com))

If you enter my web (http://www.3dluvr.com/gato) you'll find more images and videos.
Waiting for your crits.

http://perso.wanadoo.es/enriquegato/praet_patrulla.jpg

http://perso.wanadoo.es/enriquegato/praet_bosquetranquilo.jpg

lildragon
02-28-2003, 04:43 PM
Incredible job Enrique [plugged on both cgtalk.com & 3DFestival.com]

Crits later :)

salud

-JT-
02-28-2003, 05:05 PM
Great ! :)
I look forward to this game, is it the same team that worked on commandos ?

Neil
02-28-2003, 05:12 PM
Nice and professional. What was this made with? Was there mo-cap used for this?

(on a total side note, has anyone ever used mo-cap for animals... is it possible?)

I also like the feathers on the helmet and the cloth, it moved really realistically and added to the realism.

My two complaints are that first, i think it looked really washed out and too overly bright. Could be because of compression though, but i would adjust the contrasts.
Second, the light through the trees is too perfect. It almost looks like you just imposed diagonal stripes on a background plane. I would like to see some atmosphere and breaking up of the light.

Good job though!

Belthior
02-28-2003, 05:28 PM
I used to run a mocap studio, but I never had a chance to mocap animals. I went out to Performance Capture Studios for initial training though and we captured a chihuahua on the final day. They had done elephants and other animals as well as cars. They had even captured a basketball as part of a shoot with Kobe Bryant.

Neil
02-28-2003, 05:43 PM
How do you mo-cap an elephant? Do you have any pictures of it suited up?

Belthior
02-28-2003, 06:15 PM
www.performancecapture.com
I'm not sure if there is a picture of that in their demo reel.
And I can't remember how they got around the problem of the elephant's loose skin allowing the balls to move around. Maybe straps around the limbs.

You don't necessarily need a suit to do good mocap. One time we needed to get a quick shot in before the end of day, and the suit was in the wash, so I duct taped the balls to a guy. It wasn't pleasant, but it worked. I know the guys at Performance Capture have stuck mocap balls to bare skin to get soft tissue mocap.

HapZungLam
02-28-2003, 06:32 PM
this is hand animated right? some of the minor character jesture that mocape will never able to get it. I like your professional finished work. how long have you spend on this.?

ndog
02-28-2003, 06:50 PM
In Walking with Dinosaurs, the second DVD shows the animators studying how elephants walked. They used white stick on dots and connected the dots with white chalk lines. While not real motion capture it did allow them to see the basics of how a large heavy animal moved.

roromx
02-28-2003, 07:07 PM
Fantastico! :airguitar

NileshXYZ
02-28-2003, 08:38 PM
Congrats! my hats off to you and team.

one comment were is the blood! add some blood, like that guy you pulls out the long stick with dagger in front, it had no blood on it. know what i mean?

other then that its a drolling animation :drool:

ed209
02-28-2003, 08:50 PM
I once worked on a TV show where they mocapped the horses.

PixieKiller
02-28-2003, 10:17 PM
:shrug: Nice characters and nice rendering.. and animation... but the cinematography of it could really use some Divine intervention..

Still nice and finished ;)

"please admit you are all grossly deluded imbeciles. Only then may i help you" WHB

Enrique Gato
02-28-2003, 11:58 PM
Hey, thanks for the feedback!

Answering to all the questions about the animation, I have to say that it's all handmade, no motion capture has been used.
Our team is formed by four people, and we spent about five months to finish this short. It's completely made in 3dstudio max 4.2 and postproduced with Combustion.

TorbjornO
03-01-2003, 02:34 AM
Hey Gato,

Haven't looked at the cinematic yet but I'm sure it's great :). I just wanted to post a note saying that I dont think it's very appreciated by 3dluvr that you circumvent their link system. It's run for free for its users by Pedja Lju... (can't spell the rest of his name). He doesn't profit from the site and keeping everything up and running is hard as it is. So please link to the /gato/link.avi whatever instead of circumventing that and grabbing the full link. I know it's just a convience issue but if you get something for free it's my opinion you should respect those you get it from.

Toby

Jacaranda
03-01-2003, 02:54 AM
Nice work. Love the particles in the air (or however it was done), and the mist in the village moves really nicely.

My one crit is that the horses back legs don't really look or move quite right. However you got the head shake spot on.

Wish my work was of that quality ;)

D. Phoenix
03-01-2003, 02:57 AM
A superb work.

I am particularly fond of the horses' movements which are subtle but effective.

Miyazaki
03-01-2003, 03:16 AM
@Enrique Gato
Great work :buttrock:
I got 'Praetorians' yesterday: Haven`t start to play it cause of work, but the demo convinced me. You guys from pyro are incredible, keep up such great work. :thumbsup:
I have a short question: At the end of the commandos3-trailer(oh man, I love these games(1+2) so much) on the praetorians cd, there`s a picture with the title 'heart of stone'. What`s this? A new pyro game?

excube
03-01-2003, 03:57 AM
Nice work.
Now a question. You said it took 5 months to finish this.
Those 5 months were for this animation only, or for all the FMV work on pretorians, asuming there is more that follows later in the game?

aaron johnson
03-01-2003, 04:30 AM
I have one question

One person explained but I did not get it

How did you post your images directly on to the thread? Everytime I post images it only display the jpeg link. It only show images when I click on that link. In the past I did not have that problem. Please let me know. I tried the IMG button but it seems that I am doing something wrong. How do I place that image in that window.

Ticonderoga
03-01-2003, 06:14 AM
Great animation! I wish you can show more battle scenes to us! I mean, we see the beginning and the end of the attack; I really want to know what it looks in the middle.

p4b10
03-01-2003, 08:35 AM
Good work... está muy bien, se ve un trabajo muy profesional de animación y visualmente en general, los animales están bastante conseguidos... enhorabuena.

Enrique Gato
03-01-2003, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by TorbjornO
Hey Gato,

Haven't looked at the cinematic yet but I'm sure it's great :). I just wanted to post a note saying that I dont think it's very appreciated by 3dluvr that you circumvent their link system. It's run for free for its users by Pedja Lju... (can't spell the rest of his name). He doesn't profit from the site and keeping everything up and running is hard as it is. So please link to the /gato/link.avi whatever instead of circumventing that and grabbing the full link. I know it's just a convience issue but if you get something for free it's my opinion you should respect those you get it from.

Toby

Ops, you're right TorbjornO, I noticed that the tipical 3dluvr pop up window wasn't appearing, I'm not sure how did I get that strange link because in my web the pop up does appear. I'll fix it inmediately. Thanks for the info.

Enrique Gato
03-01-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Miyazaki
I have a short question: At the end of the commandos3-trailer(oh man, I love these games(1+2) so much) on the praetorians cd, there`s a picture with the title 'heart of stone'. What`s this? A new pyro game?

Yes, Heart of Stone another new title fom Pyrostudios.

Originally posted by excube
Now a question. You said it took 5 months to finish this.
Those 5 months were for this animation only, or for all the FMV work on pretorians, asuming there is more that follows later in the game?
The five months were, fortunately, just for this project. All the cinematic scenes were made in about one year.

lildragon
03-01-2003, 10:52 AM
Enrique, I sent an email to enriquegato@wanadoo.es did you get it?

salud

frameless
03-01-2003, 11:15 AM
wow, great work Enrique!! I am a big fan of Pyro. And i am a big fan of your animations:thumbsup:
The animations look very real (especially the battle scenes)
The modelling is fantasic. What else can i say...cool!!

AmateurOne
03-01-2003, 01:44 PM
I agree with all the positive things said here, but I have one criticism on aesthetics. The modeling of the horse is not realistic. Their legs look somewhat like sticks stuck on to the sides of their bodies. This lack of realism (not objectionable in and of its self) jars a bit when combined with the greater realism of the other material IMHO.

lildragon
03-01-2003, 11:25 PM
You already know what I think =] so

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Very good work.

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_mar03_2.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com for the award .psd file

salud

Pauldls
03-02-2003, 08:11 AM
omg, you don't know how much I love the old glory of the Roman Empire

awseome, just awseome
:drool:

DaKrunch
03-04-2003, 03:43 PM
Hey i saw an anounce at Madrid that your cinematic will be exposed at the SigFima of "facultad de informatica, universidad politecnica, Madrid"... shall you be there by person?

aurora
03-04-2003, 07:33 PM
BRAVO!!! That was truely stunning. I'm not a big game player due to no time for it. But that clip made think that sleeping is something that might need replaced!

As for the mo-cap question, theres an article on Dinosaurs in the March 2003 National Geographic which talks briefly about using mo-cap on elephants to figure out top speeds of large animals such as a T-rex.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.