PDA

View Full Version : rotating canvas?

xsitar
02-24-2007, 03:07 PM
i once saw a demo video where someone was doing a drawing and rotated the canvas around to any degree when necessary. it seemed like a hotkey i think...

i couldn't find this yet. any tips?

thanks a lot

Jinbrown
02-24-2007, 04:23 PM
Hi,

It's the Rotate Page tool (E key). While the Brush tool is active, use Spacebar+Alt/Option key to temporarily activate the Rotate Page tool.

Click and drag to rotate the image.

Click in the image to return it to its normal upright position.

Happy weekend!

Improv
02-24-2007, 07:47 PM
Hi,

It's the Rotate Page tool (E key). While the Brush tool is active, use Spacebar+Alt/Option key to temporarily activate the Rotate Page tool.

Click and drag to rotate the image.

Click in the image to return it to its normal upright position.

Thank you,thank you, thank you! :-)

Ever since I found a continuos rotate key in ArtRage I've been hoping for one in Painter IX.5-X.

That was one that I totally missed. Very useful.

Cheers Jin

Jinbrown
02-24-2007, 09:31 PM
Thank you,thank you, thank you! :-)

Ever since I found a continuos rotate key in ArtRage I've been hoping for one in Painter IX.5-X.

That was one that I totally missed. Very useful.

Cheers Jin

Hi Improv,

Gee whillikers, you shoulda asked!

History:

The Rotate Page tool has been in Painter since long before ArtRage was a twinkle in it's daddy's eye, for at least 12 years, back to 1995 when Painter was owned by Fractal Design. Painter 4.0 is the earliest version I can check since it was my first. It's not installed on my computer, but I keep all of my hard copy User Guides nearby to look up things like this, or for those that have HTML User Guides, I look things up there.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Rotate Page tool was an even earlier addition. Maybe pixlart (John Derry) can remember.

In Painter 8, Painter IX - IX.5, and Painter X, we can even type the degree of rotation on the Property Bar after the Rotate Page tool is selected, or after we manually rotate the image and want to fine tune the rotation degree.

Now get busy rotating! ;)

Improv
02-24-2007, 10:40 PM
Hi Improv,

Gee whillikers, you shoulda asked!

Kinda hard to ask if you don't know what you don't know! :D

It wouldn't surprise me if the Rotate Page tool was an even earlier addition. Maybe pixlart (John Derry) can remember.

Could be, it does seem like a rather essential tool, IMHO.

John D? What sayest thou???

In Painter 8, Painter IX - IX.5, and Painter X, we can even type the degree of rotation on the Property Bar after the Rotate Page tool is selected, or after we manually rotate the image and want to fine tune the rotation degree.

Yes, I know about those, but I wanted some thing for on the fly rotating as you work. Of course it's there already! :love:

Now get busy rotating! ;)

:eek::scream: Ouch-that sounds painful! :D
-But you'd never mean it THAT way, now would ya? :thumbsup:

Cheers

Improv

Jinbrown
02-25-2007, 12:29 AM
Kinda hard to ask if you don't know what you don't know! :D

:rolleyes:

Yes, I know about those, but I wanted some thing for on the fly rotating as you work. Of course it's there already! :love:

Yep! and now you're going to have all kinds of on the fly fun.

:eek::scream: Ouch-that sounds painful! :D
-But you'd never mean it THAT way, now would ya? :thumbsup:

Cheers

Improv

:hmm:.. I don't know if I'd ever....

Cheers back!

(Oh, oh, we used up all he smilies.)

toastyovens
02-25-2007, 12:04 PM
I think the rotate feature is the only thing that keeps me using Painter - the most convenient in all of the rotatable 2d softwares. That and it's brush engine. Too bad about the aliasing though.

brenly
02-25-2007, 12:08 PM
I think the rotate feature is the only thing that keeps me using Painter - the most convenient in all of the rotatable 2d softwares. That and it's brush engine. Too bad about the aliasing though.

... agree ...

evanfotis
02-25-2007, 01:11 PM
I think this is a clear "RTFM" example :).

I still can't undrstand though, how come PS after all these versions hasn't managed to add such an invaluable feature..

toastyovens
02-25-2007, 11:28 PM
Off topic.

I think because the rotate feature has been integrated in Painter's code relatively early on instead of being added in an already matured stage of an application like in PS. The longer Adobe waits to implement this feature, the more difficult for them to integrate into their
code. I heard they had to mess with display drivers just to make it workable. Driver issue problems is one of the most dreaded by programmers.

I can say that the rotate tool in Painter is their only saving grace from users switching entirely to PS. Since I have seen more and more artists able to emulate 'traditional media' in PS.

One feature that I would think would improve Painter's rotate tool (apart from their aliasing)
is to put a ''previous/next rotate setting'' buffer. You know like in Maya's 'previous and next view? That would be useful.

pixlart
02-26-2007, 04:55 PM
Ah yes...the Rotate Tool.

I clearly remember the day it was implemented. It was during the Painter 2.0 development cycle.

Mark and I had been on a field trip to a "major hollywood animation studio" and seen rotoscoping tables in use. We hadn't really talked about it much when one morning Tom Hedges more-or-less idly commented that, while working on the screen display code, there was a way he could easily rotate the screen to any arbitrary angle without a serious performance hit. Would that be useful for any reason?

Mark and I looked at each other and screamed YES! in unison.

Tom had it hooked up within a few minutes and we immediately knew what a useful feature Page Rotation was. Not just to emulate an animation tableóbut to provide the flexibility of changing the page angle for the most ergonomic application of drawing angles as found in natural-media drawing.

I seriously couldn't live without it now.

Viva la Page Rotation!

-john

Improv
02-27-2007, 12:17 AM
Thanks for that bit of Painter history, John. :-)

While I was reading it I kept hearing Walter Cronkite's voice
speaking your post, then finally 'And that's the way it was!'

:D

brenly
02-27-2007, 05:31 AM
John ... Why didnt you guys sell Painter to Adobe instead of Corel... I would so luv to see Painter as a plug in for Photoshop!!! A highly tuned brush engine with a rotateable canvas .. get rid of all the other stuff!
I guess Corel offered more .. dam them!

Jinbrown
02-27-2007, 07:31 AM
John,

Thanks! I thought that must have been the case. The Rotate Page tool has always worked so smoothly and naturally it's felt like it came from Painter's roots.

Another nice Painter history tidbit to add to the collection.

CGTalk Moderation
02-27-2007, 07:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.