PDA

View Full Version : Half face morph? (Symmetry question)

Wiz
02-24-2007, 01:47 PM
Hey, I have a question.
Lets say I modeled a shape of a symmetrical model with sym Map and Sym on.. let
say I made a Blink shape, now What I want to do is, instead of storing it as 1 shape of EYes closed, i Would like to store it as 2 seprate Shapes, one of Left eye closed and second of Right eye closed, I have searched around, I am sure it's possible I just do not know how, would love some help, thanks.

3dtutorial
02-24-2007, 01:59 PM
Hey, I have a question.
Lets say I modeled a shape of a symmetrical model with sym Map and Sym on.. let
say I made a Blink shape, now What I want to do is, instead of storing it as 1 shape of EYes closed, i Would like to store it as 2 seprate Shapes, one of Left eye closed and second of Right eye closed, I have searched around, I am sure it's possible I just do not know how, would love some help, thanks.

http://www.joncrow.com/tutorials/xsi_tuts/xsi_tuts_index.htm

and this one might also be of help....

http://www.mattmos.com/tutorials/shape_tut.html

See the tutorial entitled "symmetrical shapes in XSI"

That might be of help.

Kind Regards,

Joe

pooby
02-24-2007, 06:31 PM
Apply the symmetrical shape key.
Make a cluster on one side.
Save shape key with the cluster selected and it will only save it on those points.

Bear in mind that any points down the middle of the geometry will double-up their movement if moved by both the left and right shapes.

I have a question too..

How do you clear shape information on a point.? Say I made a smile and later noticed I'd accidentally moved some points on the back of the head on that shape key. How do I delete the shape info.. (not a method involving removing them from the cluster) Or preferably how can I control the amount of influence per vertex?
In Lightwave this is handled by a vertex map which you can edit.

mocaw
02-24-2007, 09:00 PM
Apply the symmetrical shape key.
Make a cluster on one side.
Save shape key with the cluster selected and it will only save it on those points.

Bear in mind that any points down the middle of the geometry will double-up their movement if moved by both the left and right shapes.

I have a question too..

How do you clear shape information on a point.? Say I made a smile and later noticed I'd accidentally moved some points on the back of the head on that shape key. How do I delete the shape info.. (not a method involving removing them from the cluster) Or preferably how can I control the amount of influence per vertex?

Couldn't you use the modulate shape key by weight map function? Animation->Shape->modulate sape key with weigth map

The only problem with this is setting weight map vertex values without having to paint them. I still for the life of me can't figure out how to do this on anything but eleveloped bones.

Have you seen those lm weight maps tools too pooby?

http://www.alamaison.fr/3d/lmWeightMapTools/index.html

http://www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=28986;start=0

Gives you even more control...

Sil3
02-24-2007, 09:37 PM
I have a question too..

Use this free plugin:

http://www.xsibase.com/tools/plugins.php?detail=1123

Sadly this is a thing that is really missing from XSi, ok we can use a Weight Map and Modulate blablabla...but come on...to much effort for such a trivial task IMO.

When using that Plugin you need to select the Shape inside the Object Hierarchy, it took me some time to get that :D

Basically with this Plugin we can model the Shapes with Symmetry, duplicate them so we have both R and L sides and then select the points we dont want in either Shapes and erase the Morph info, kinda like we used to do in LW :thumbsup:

pooby
02-24-2007, 10:04 PM
Have you seen those lm weight maps tools too pooby?

I have now.. they're excellent, thanks!

Thanks too Sil, I'll take a look at that..

I must admit, the whole Shape thing in XSI seems a little convoluted compared to LW's morphs. It could do with a little simplifying. I don't really understand why the shape manager doesn't like to animate certain shapes that were made in an incompatible mode, and also, if you dont do things in the right order it's easy to either wipe your original base, or lose the shape you've made.
It always makes me a little nervous when I'm doing shape stuff compared with the rest of XSI where it all seems generally very straightforward and non destructive.

Sil3
02-24-2007, 10:49 PM
if you dont do things in the right order it's easy to either wipe your original base, or lose the shape you've made.
It always makes me a little nervous when I'm doing shape stuff compared with the rest of XSI where it all seems generally very straightforward and non destructive.

I know what you mean... the major trick is to have the Shape Manager window Open all the time, even if you model you Shapes on the regular viewports, never close or minimize the Shape Manager window, you can make it really small but thats about it.

Another trick if you have Gator is to make all Shapes in LW then import the .lwo object with PO and transfer the Morphs. :scream:

CGTalk Moderation
02-24-2007, 10:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.