PDA

View Full Version : Can someone show me a good head`s uv mesh?

FR33K
02-24-2007, 11:53 AM
Hello,

anyone here is kind enough to show me a uv mesh of a head where I i can see how you have edited/stitched/relaxed the uv mesh of the eyelids,ear,inner nose and inner eye area...

these parts drive me crazy as one point is laying over the other...

http://666kb.com/i/am41kztufw5v8qbs4.gif

the 12 orange selected points were hidden under the chin points. I selected the 12 points and move them down actually i thought it would go down the monitor but these points as you can see seem to sink down in the 3d space or in z direction? I always though uv editing is moving points on a flat 2d layer ?

What can i do about the Eye area? I followed exactly the LSCM Mapping tutorial of 3DKiwi about bodypaint 3d 3.0 latest features, but my eyes seem to be rotated 90 degree ?

cheers,

Pascal

madart
02-24-2007, 08:55 PM
I'm not so sure that these UV maps are that good, but anyway, this is how I have laid out the UV's in the areas you asked for.

Sometimes I add some polys at the back of the eyes instead of having a hole, that way I'll get the positioning of the eyes right when I relax the UV's. (I use Maya)

I use automatic mapping and then move and sew and relax, that works most of the time.

As you can see if you look at the ears, rhey have been UV-mapped differnently in the two UV-maps. There is less strestching in the one where the ear has been separated, the downside is that I have a seam. But it's not noticeable, so that works.

I don't know how you can see that the orange vertices would go down (into the screen?). They are moving on a flat 2d plane as you said.

http://madartgraphics.com/web/uv1.gif

http://madartgraphics.com/web/uv2.gif

I hope that these maps are of some help. :)

FR33K
05-01-2007, 08:31 PM
Hello again,

how did you made these uv points in such a smooth/round arrangement ? all manually by moving them ???

frinkky
05-02-2007, 03:53 AM
Hi FR33K,

A couple things I;ve found: as 3dkiwi set a ring of vertices around the face to hold it in position, do that with the eyes (i decided to do this with an edge selection too as I had loops going back on themselves to create a tight fitting mesh around part of the eyeballs, a la the Stop Staring books head tutorial), just make the point loop selection almost out of sight and you won't get issues with visible seams. The same can go for the lips.

Another (and I feel guilty for this :D) I tend to use Roadkill (a free maya plugin with a standalone version built in) as its LSCM algorithm works better for more intricate organic meshes, meaning less fannying around. It imports and exports obj files, so no issue of compatibility issues.

madart
05-02-2007, 09:55 AM
FR33K, The first one I used relax and moved the UV's manually. The second one, which probably is the one you're talking baout, is from a smoothed head. But I didn't lay out the UV's from the smoothed head.

FR33K
05-02-2007, 03:57 PM
FR33K, The first one I used relax and moved the UV's manually. The second one, which probably is the one you're talking baout, is from a smoothed head. But I didn't lay out the UV's from the smoothed head.

thanks frinkky, i check roadkill application.

the relax tool in c4d/bp3d works only one time i hit the relax button , clicking it a 2nd time nothing... although the mesh could need a much better relaxing.

Hey madart, your second image you posted whats the difference to the first one you posted as its more subdivided ??

CGTalk Moderation
05-02-2007, 03:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.