PDA

View Full Version : New guy with a lot on his mind...

jdcutter
02-24-2007, 05:03 AM
Hello everyone,

*Note: For those who look at this and think its to long to read, scroll to the * halfway down to see the end questions I'm asking. Please visit the links along the way though.*

I'm a newbie on the forum and have been looking for a little while now out of curiousity for my degree (Graphic Design) and my overall fasination with illustration, art, digital design and so many other things considered computer graphics or graphics communication. After having read a few forums through at least a few pages back in posts a piece I have some questions for those who post here. Because without question you are a talented community with a great deal of knowledge.

I've been in the program for a little over a year now and have had a job for 5 or so months allowing me to use a great deal of Photoshop, Illustrator, and many other adobe programs. As well as other programs not related to this post.

Well I've been a big fan of Adobe Illustrator, I love the feel of the pen tool, and how easily it seems to work with me. I've enjoyed doing vector art and am working harder at learning more of the program; especially the mesh tool. I think it is a very powerful tool and worth learning, and from my reading on this site others feel the same way. Although when it comes to photoshop, I'm a bit more... lacking with the program. I understand its grunt basics fairly well, how to select and morph pieces, levels adjustments, color modes, the layers, and most of the tools on the toolbar. But, there is a great deal more I'm wanting to learn with the program. Now, onto the main topic (Yes I realize I'm long winded).

Recently over the past 4 or so years I've been admiring the painting ability of Photoshop. Some of my favorites come from people such as,

www.hawkstudios.net (http://www.hawkstudios.net)
Natascha Roeoesli (http://tascha.ch/)

As well as many others, many of which frequent and post their works on this page. I've just started my Advanced 2D graphics classes at my college and I am lucky enough to have a teacher willing to answer all my questions as best as possible. But of coarse, I would like to know the opinions of the people doing the work today as well.

*Reference: Note*

As I've said I've read a good number of posts on this forum so far and am still working my way through more of the forums. I'm curious though on what you all feel is the best way of working towards understanding and excelling at painting to create results such as the ones I left in the links above. I know that effort produces rewards. And trust me I am working at it to try and develop my own technique of doing things and bettering myself. I also know this is a long process.

I'd like to know more about the brushes too, I've been reading the Photoshop Bible my school had required for photoshop 1, about brushes and their abilities. Though its not very useful in what I'm trying to work towards, that or I'm not understanding the techniques applications in the final result. So any information on the brushes capabilities, and the understandings of how the brush tool works would be much appreciated.

I've been looking for tutorials to better help my understanding of what photoshop is capable off as well. I've seen the staggering list you have available at the top of the photopshop forum here, many of which lead to some of the pages I've visited before, but I've also looked into sites such as photoshop cafe, good tutorials, the watch and learn series, and a few others. I've learned some interesting things and some ways of even applying to my job. Which is beneficial in its own way.

So any help those of you out there willing to lend a hand to a eager artist who is interested in strengthening his own skills, please help in any way you can. I'd love to be able to achieve works of that caliber in the next 3 years. As before I state, everything takes time which I know.

Thank you in advanced,
J.D.

Ian Jones
02-25-2007, 08:21 AM
Are you sure it's software tutorials you are seeking? I have a feeling you are most likely grasping the use of the software just fine but are probably searching to understand technique or more importantly design and composition. What are your thoughts on that?

I wasn't entirely sure what kind of answers or advice you are seeking.

jdcutter
02-25-2007, 02:54 PM
Sorry, let me clear this up a little. As for design, I'm pretty happy with what I draw up to try to work with in Photoshop. I think what I was trying to get across was the technique on how to achieve the the exampled results? Tutorial, I guess, was a bad word to use in relation to what I was hoping to better myself towards. I guess I'm trying to figure out the technique to achieve results like the examples above.

Like I said I know it takes a lot of time and effort, which I am fully fine with.

Hope that helps you on what I was trying to understand.

Thanks,

J.D.

BlueFlare
02-27-2007, 03:56 AM
I think what I was trying to get across was the technique on how to achieve the the exampled results?

Jdcutter, those are not techniques, those are painting and drawing skills, that's a whole other ball game. I don't understand how you expect people to teach you on a forum how to achieve these results? Or did I misunderstand the question?

jdcutter
02-27-2007, 04:00 AM
Jdcutter, those are not techniques, those are painting and drawing skills, that's a whole other ball game. I don't understand how you expect people to teach you on a forum how to achieve these results? Or did I misunderstand the question?

Er... Umm no, I'm not talking about their specific style of art. I guess my explanation is very badly worded... I have my own personal drawings and traditional pieces I'm trying to paint them using photoshop. But I can only really achieve hard blocked looks, not the smoothing, textured look I'm going for. Though I can complete these effects with a paint brush. I'm just having difficulty doing what I can do with a brush and my oils to transfer over into a digital enviornment such as Photoshop.

I hope that helps.

BlueFlare
02-27-2007, 05:08 AM
But I can only really achieve hard blocked looks, not the smoothing, textured look I'm going for.

Do you have an example, because I find it hard to understand what you mean with "hard blocked looks", this can be interpreted in many many different ways.

Btw, do you have a tablet, because that's priority #1. Preferable a Wacom Intuos.

prixat
02-27-2007, 08:13 AM
That step from blocking out to smoothing is a big one.

You could look for tutorials that focus on "blending" to pick up the general techniques.

Is this the sort of thing you wanted to know? (tutorial at renderosity):
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/tutorial/index.php?tutorial_id=1158

Datameister
02-28-2007, 10:15 PM
There's a common method of blending paint in Photoshop I call SAPALO--it stands for "sample and paint at low opacity." You can find a lot of info on it over at conceptart.org/forums, in the "Digital Painting in PS" thread in the Photoshop forum.

Basically, let's say you have two hard-edged areas of color you want to blend. You can alt-click the border between those colors to sample the color between, then paint over the border with a low opacity. If you repeat this process for a while, sampling multiple colors and using a light touch, you can build up a nice, painterly blend. I'm attaching an image that explains a little bit better.

As I show in the image, the Smudge tool can be used...but don't use any of the standard brushes. Scattering is useful for creating interesting blends, as are the Shape Dynamics options.

CGTalk Moderation
02-28-2007, 10:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.