PDA

View Full Version : With Final render and v-ray I get this crash message!!! please help me

actarus6
03-29-2002, 02:43 AM
Final render, v-ray or max crash? Please can you help me?
when I try to render a scene with forest pro, shag hair, with something about 900000 faces, I get this message :
"The application has run out of memory and will now close" is a v-ray or max problem? Please help I must Terminate my work

ToddD
03-29-2002, 06:54 AM
What operating system are you running under? Maybe your PC is poorly managing memory. Just a guess. Also, are those plug-ins compatable with the renderers? Brazil won't render shag hair, maybe Vray doesn't either. FR is supposed to work with all plugins. Well that's my input, anyone else?:)

actarus6
03-30-2002, 04:01 AM
Win 2k with service pack 2
Machine:
Athlon 1800+
ram 512 ddr
video card geforce 2 mx
hdd maxtor 7200 40G
etc

V-Ray not always but when I have more than 400000 I get this message, if not the rendering with shag hair or forest pro pack are completed well.

excuse my bad english
THX bye

fxjeane
04-23-2002, 09:24 PM
You dont have enough ram to render the scene. There are several things you can do, none are pretty, but you got to do what you got to do.

1.- make sure you use shadows efficiently. BY this i mean :
.- dont use raytraced shadows unless its absolutelly necesary
.- dont use omni lights to cast depth-mapped shadows.
.- make sure you use the smallest size shadow map setting that will produce acceptable results

2.- break your scene into several smaller scenes (keep the poly count under 500,000).For example one scene for the trees and another scene for shag-fur. render them separately with aplha masks and then composite them. Make sure you import the same camera movements into both scenes.

3.- get more ram.

Max's renderer it pretty good but its not that good on memory handling. That's why mayor studios use Renderman (or any other REYES renderer), because no matter how big the scene is it will render. Maybe it takes 70 hours, but it WILL render.

I hope that helps

Cheers
FXjeane

actarus6
04-23-2002, 10:10 PM
Thank fxjeane I will add more ram.
Can I ask You what do you think about Final render vs V-ray
I need your opinion about the exteriors and interiors scenes

Bye Bye by Italy
Thx Thx

fxjeane
04-23-2002, 11:19 PM
I haven't played with v-ray yet so i couldnt give my opinion on it. I have used Final render but to a limmited extent. I guess i was dissapointed after i saw the huge workarrounds you had to do to get GI to work for animations. I've heard they have improved final render on the second release . I've also heard that V-ray kicks ass.

Honestly i'm not a big fan of GI. Don't get me wrong, it looks awsome, but I think that most of the times you can do your work without it. You might have to work harder to setup your lights (that is a true artform), but your rendertimes will be a lot smaller.

I use GI to render an animation every 10 or 20 frames and then I try to match my lighting to the GI renders using regular lights. It seems like a lot of work, but at the end YOU have all the control, no the GI engine. So if your client (or you) is not stisfied or wants a small change, you know exactly what to change and you dont spend counltes hours trying to tweak teh GI settings (materials, lights, bounces,....etc).

Cheers

FXjeane

actarus6
04-23-2002, 11:28 PM
I give you a beta of V-Ray is very very fast as ray tracer and with GI very very very fast and it gives a great quality, is simple and.......
try it

ToddD
04-24-2002, 05:07 AM
Aha, the RAM it is! Had a hunch when I posted a while back, first suggestion was memory. Haven't tried V-ray yet, between Brazil, and Final Render I have my hands full. Actarus, just curious, any renders of that scene from the original posting?:)

actarus6
04-24-2002, 05:23 AM
Excuse me but I don't understand what do you mean!

I don't speak english very well as you can see from my messages, but if you can repeat in oder words I will appreciate.
I'm interesting at your opinion.

Do you think is it the ram the real problem (I've 512Mb DDR)
With shag hair I have a message that the program is working out
of memmory but with forest I get the close of max without message

Booh

Bye bye by italy

ToddD
04-24-2002, 08:12 AM
Actarus, what I am saying is that the message posted by FXjeane verifies my original post. While 512 ram seems like alot of memory, it is not enough to accomplish what you are trying to do. Your english is very good by the way!:D

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.