PDA

View Full Version : Are Pentium Mobile chips REALLY worth their price?

obi_
02-28-2003, 08:36 AM
Ok, here's the thing:

Like many people these days, I'm looking into buying a laptop, since (in my opinion) they have reached the point where you can actually get one without knowing it'll be outdated the next week.

Anyway, after looking everywhere, I've found these two options:

a- Pentium IV 2.4 Ghz, 512 Mb RAM, 40Gb HD, combo, ATI Mobility Radeon M7-P (7500) 64 Mb 1460 / $

b- The exact same thing, only with a Pentium Mobile chip: Pentium IV-M 2.0 Ghz, 512 Mb RAM, 40Gb HD, combo, ATI Mobility Radeon M7-P (7500) 64 Mb 1760 / $

Both laptops a identical other than the cpu. They both have a 15' screen with up to 1400*1050 resolution.

I've heard about "regular pentium" having two kind of issues when being installed in laptop computers:

1 - Power compsumption: They're not designed for mobile systems, so they suck up more battery life than mobile chips. About this, I find hard to believe that it makes such a big difference, having other devices inside the laptop that require a lot more battery energy than the cpu (like the tft screen, hard drive, cdrom, etc)

2 - Heating problems, causing the overall performance of the computer to fall like 40% after a while of intensive use.

This is what I've read about the subject, and makes me wonder if it's really worth it to pay an extra 300 (or $) for a mobile cpu of a lower clock speed. Do you have any opinion on this matter, or know any REAL information about it? It's hard enough to save up 1500 , needless to say it's a huge efford that extra amount, but if it's the only way to have a decent machine to work with 3DMAX and render ocasionally, then I guess it's necessary.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Saurus
02-28-2003, 07:00 PM
They are pretty much the same chip...heat and power consumption. The only difference is mobile chip drops GHZ when its on battery...giving u longer battery life. Not exactly know how much, but Im sure if you are doing heavy 3D, you will feel it.

Saurus

TCLee
03-03-2003, 10:34 AM
Heya,

My P4 Mobile 2.2Ghz on a Dell M50 drops to 1.2Ghz on batts.

Its a Model 2 Stepping 7 chip.

I think I read somewhere on Microsoft's/Dell's site that you can disable the function in 2 ways.

1. If you're using XP, in the Advanced Power Management control panel (although this didn't work for me)

2. Messing around with the BIOS to permanently lock it at 1 speed.

Although I don't know what the repercussions are.

Hope this helps.

Valkyrien
03-03-2003, 09:16 PM
i'd say it's probably not worth it, considering the drop in CPU speed and the drop in battery life if you speed the CPU back up...:shrug:

obi_
03-05-2003, 08:42 AM
Ouch. I didn't even know that. I thought the mobile chips increased or decreased their speed depending on the task they were performining, not the depending on the power source.
I'd also heard that the ones dropping performance were the desktop chips, beacause they overheated with heavy processing, while mobile chips kept always their nominal speeds. I think I'll be saving that extra money for something else, after all.

Thanks for your help, guys.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.