PDA

View Full Version : playing with emotions

deunan
02-28-2003, 09:35 AM
blendshapes of my wip character. comments are welcome.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/wihuang@pacbell.net/vwp?.dir=/character+work&.dnm=expressions.jpg&.src=ph&.view=t&.hires=t

btw how come the post show the link instead of the actual picture? anyone?

Krystman
02-28-2003, 10:27 AM
:eek:

tpe
02-28-2003, 10:40 AM
Very nice, thought that there was too long a distance between the lower lip and the bottom chin in the model rather than the morphs, if it got reduced it would lose character from the face. excelent.

tpe

wanzai
02-28-2003, 11:11 AM
I like the upper three, the lower aren't as expressive.

I browsed through the album a bit. Nice model! :thumbsup:

NileshXYZ
02-28-2003, 10:20 PM
self work or project? will look good in a game, i also browsed nice work.

modeling-man
02-28-2003, 11:11 PM
I'm curious

How would one model and animate the eyes? I asked my previous Maya teacher and he gave me this long explanation of actually attaching the eyelids and then animating them over the eyes with bones...couldn't one just stretch the upper eye lid down with a bone? or use a modifier?

Please any help on this would be great.
B

exit
03-01-2003, 11:16 AM
this is amazing... wish I could do something like this, but my skills aren't quite there yet..

Krystman
03-01-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by modeling_man
I'm curious

How would one model and animate the eyes? I asked my previous Maya teacher and he gave me this long explanation of actually attaching the eyelids and then animating them over the eyes with bones...couldn't one just stretch the upper eye lid down with a bone? or use a modifier?

Please any help on this would be great.
B

There are several approaches. You CAN use Bones and you often have to if your Game Enginge doesn't support Morphings Targets. Which brings us to the other Option (which I think is more common) - using morhing targets.

I didn't quite understand what you Teacher ment but attaching eyelids to the Eyes, can you explain a bit more?

Btw: to properly show Expressions you need both: the upper and lower lid. Rigging only the upper one is done only when there are limitations from the game engine.

modeling-man
03-01-2003, 09:04 PM
So my teacher pretty much said that the head is the head....then there are holes for the eyes, then eyelids are separate but attached through the use of bones around the eyeball. So when you rotate the bones it goes over the eyes.
Hope that helps. To me using morph targets makes way more sense...I'm just such a noob when it comes to animating anything about a basic movement.

Can anyone point me to a good tutorial on morph targets for Max?

BiTMAP
03-02-2003, 12:30 AM
I'm gonna just sorta bring this up here, but If you got a team that is working with the artists (like they SHOULD be) you could have an engine that uses bones and morph, now don't give me the crap about "you can't use both" cuase i've heard it and I've also talked with programers that can make Half-life do anything... So why don't more studios use both? use some bones for things like arm and leg movements, but morphs for facial emotions and clothes and some movements to keep a better shape...?

oh man my heads off, original question, How many poly's does that face have??

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.