PDA

View Full Version : Rendering/Compositing help and advice (please)

jigen08
02-23-2007, 02:02 AM
I'm using Maya 8.5, rendering out for Shake...

1: I'm having difficulty with the depth channel. It's clicked on in render settings but nothing is showing up in the Fcheck Z channel (all white) nor the Shake Z channel (all black). Anything obvious I might be overlooking? It works fine with a scene I'm rendering that I built in Maya 7, but in new simple test scenes I'm stumped.

2: I'm about to render out a large-scale scene so I want to simulate distance. I was going to use an environment fog box. Does this work with alpha channels? Will the items in the environment be cleanly cutout or will they have a fog around them, destroying the alpha channel? (Yes, I'd prefer to use the Z Depth, see #1).

3: Is there a way to prevent the slight camera environment color outline around things rendered in layers? I'd read that I should turn off premultiply in render settings, but this makes the outlines appear jagged (i.e. worse).

4: There are paint effects plants in my scene. How do I turn off their primary visibility for layer-rendering, so I only get their shadow? How do I get them to not all appear as though they are all on one plane (without making them polygons)?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

phyle
02-23-2007, 02:25 AM
1. I think you need to tell us what file format your rendering too. Is it .iff? I often find its easier to render the z-depth out by itself. Make a copy of your scene, colour everything black, and make a white fog, use this as your depth channel.

2. The fog shouldnt affect your alpha channels at all.

3. This is always a pain for me too. It sucks because different compositing programs deal with alphas differently and I havent used shake. Premultiply will look jaggy, but if you look at the alpha channel, it will be smooth. When you composite it it will use that smooth alpha and look fine. If your still getting lines another thing that can help is to change your background colour to one that is closer to the one you are compositing on top of, not black.

4. this im not sure of.

phyle
02-23-2007, 02:31 AM
double---------------

acidream
02-23-2007, 06:37 PM
You need to use the RLA image type to get your depth channel to show up properly.

CGTalk Moderation
02-23-2007, 06:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.