PDA

View Full Version : seamless patterns - please help!

karvboy
02-23-2007, 12:41 AM
Hello,

I’m working for a videogame company, making 2D games for cellular phones, Nintendo DS and PSP.

Overall my job consists of doing very small seamless patterns. It varies between 16x16 pixel and 64x64 pixels.

So far I use the common technique; I’m using the offset filter, and then I save the image as a pattern, and finally fill another image with the pattern. But well… this approach becomes very annoying and time consuming when you want to test result at every 5 seconds… If at least we could very a filled map while working with the offset and making modification… Because it doesn’t mean a pattern is seamless that it’s pleasant for the eyes.

So I tried to create the following action: select all -> create pattern -> create new 500x500 images -> fill with pattern… But the problem here is that I didn’t find a way to fill with the very last saved pattern…

I’m really hopeless with this situation.

Anyone could give me some good advices?

Thanks!!

kiwi8
02-23-2007, 04:26 AM
try demoing some photoshop tileing/texture plugins. or full application for creating seamless textures for 3d applications.

kiwi8
02-23-2007, 04:32 AM
double posts, this site is slowing down guess to many people

Cocefi
02-23-2007, 08:44 AM
I'm not sure how to do it within Photoshop, but with some basic HTML, you could code up an empty page with an image as a tiling background, and just overwrite the same image everytime you need to test it and hit the refresh button on the browser.

Not the best solution, but should be quicker than making a pattern each time.

Hope that helps. :)

RogerB
02-23-2007, 10:49 AM
Do a search for texturedesk here in the forums or go straigt to

http://www.spectralogue.com/textures/index.php

Balaa
02-26-2007, 02:03 AM
I haven't found a great way to do seemless patterns QUICK in photoshop. As others suggested, there are likely plugins for ps. I actually use Paint Shop pro to make seemless patterns, it has a relatively user friendly and fast filter for this..and offers you some options in what you would like the pattern to look like. Currently I have Paint Shop Pro 9, it's a fairly cheap program too. :)

Whipyo
02-26-2007, 07:58 AM
Sorry, don't have any useful advice here but on the subject of tiling plugs, the best tiling plug I've seen is Imagesynth from Luxology.

You think you can get a demo here:

http://www.luxology.com/whatismodo/imageSynth.aspx

Works really well. I was completely amazed the first time I used it. Not sure how well it would do a 16 x 16 px though.....

DigitalNeutrinos
02-27-2007, 09:57 PM
GIMP has a tile creator filter thats works pretty good plus gimp is free and simular to PS.

CGTalk Moderation
02-27-2007, 09:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.