PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Ronin, Final

CogsOrchish
02-28-2003, 01:53 AM
I finally finished this character. I dont think ill continue working on it unless someone pointed out something that really needs changing. I have a sword for him but Im not going to post it or attach to character. Im tired of working on it lol. NEW PROJECT = more FUN!!! Im currently working on a bionic character and hope I can post up some images as soon as I finish modeling it. For now, here is my Japanese Ronin Warrior. Enjoy. Feel free to crit. Thanks guys...

P.S. This is merely for my demo real. Not for an engine.

http://viz3d.net/upload/Hunter.jpg

Jevin
02-28-2003, 02:36 AM
There's a lot of good things to say about the model, mostly the textures rather than the model though. The subtle design on the pants giving it a silk look is good (though I think it should be more shiny) and the texture on the chest piece is highly intricate. The only blaringly odd thing I can tell is the hat. Why does he wear a hat like that, it would prevent him from seeing anything, and it's structure is fairly odd. The type of hat you're going for is usually made of reeds, not metal, and it is more of a saucer shape than a bowl shape. I'd say that would be something worth going back and changing, because it hides your character's face, and it looks too innaccurate. A company might think you did not do any research on the style, rather you just made it up, and that says something about your commitment.

CogsOrchish
02-28-2003, 05:00 AM
Jevin: Yeah, I got pretty much sick of doing the textures for the character. But I did bump the hat to make it look better with few scratches (not posted). But as far as not doing the research for the character, believe me, I know more about Japanese heritage than youll ever imagine. My video game name is Musashi, LOL. I may not be japanese, but Im Asian decent. I just thought a rice hat made out of bamboo trunks is lame and boring. Too common and old fashion.

Tylak
02-28-2003, 05:57 AM
great textures, good balance of color. I like the model too, you got some good definition for 2500 polys.

GJ!

xould you post your uv maps (snapshot) and texture file. I want to see how you layed it out.

MrHappyPants
02-28-2003, 06:03 AM
I have to agree with jevin.. the hat HAS to go :eek:

your model/texture is working and too strong to have a flaw like that in it.
dont take offense to this but i can here art directors laughing already.. the hat reads as a lampshade.. FIX IT!

otherwise good work keep it up! :beer:

CogsOrchish
02-28-2003, 04:09 PM
Im not taking it as an offense. I agree with you guys =). The hat does gotta go. Im just not changing it to rice hat. Ill post another version of it soon. =)

CogsOrchish
02-28-2003, 04:24 PM
Here is the UV Texture Layout and the wireframe of the model.

http://viz3d.net/upload/HunterWire.jpg

Jevin
02-28-2003, 06:27 PM
I would like to point out that I was not accusing you of not knowing your stuff. What I said is that you have to watch out and be extra careful not to give that impression to game companies, since they are your target audience. #1 rule in selling yourself to someone is know who's buying. Sure you can put something other than a rice hat, just make sure it won't give off the wrong impression, that's what I'm saying.

It's a great model nonetheless though.

jistyles
03-01-2003, 09:16 AM
Ok, first up the texture - needs another pass on localised detailing and weathering, and REALLY needs sharp highlighting. It seems to be based in neutral mid tones, which doesn't translate well in-game. Skin tones are a bit out of whack, with next to no meaty reds - tinting deep fleshy areas a reddish hue on the pronounced surface simulates translucency of the skin. Other than this, there's a few sections which don't really have a defined source of light, and it just throws the curvature off.

Onto the model. You can optomise the hell out of it - if you work in quads/polys, make sure once you've got your final, to triangulate the surface and optomise on a per-tris level. The face especially needs optomising.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.