PDA

View Full Version : Sources container missing ?!

toonafish
02-20-2007, 09:20 PM
I'm trying to load an 5.11 scene into 6.0 and I get this error message:

http://www.toonafish.nl/clients/sources.jpg

I suppose it means some scripts or plugins are missing, but should I know these numbers by heart or what's up with that ?

misterdi
02-21-2007, 01:57 AM
You are still consider lucky that XSI reports what is missing.

In my case with v5.11, I don't know what the artist do with the reference model, XSI just report Source Container loading failed. Do basic survival thing like merging the scene lead to XSI crash.
Model Clip is there, but all the sources could not be loaded.

The only way we could do is reverting back to working versions of the scene and lost about 3 hrs of works.

Regards,

toonafish
02-21-2007, 08:52 AM
wow, so this is a new feature in 6.0

Tekano
02-21-2007, 01:28 PM
hello,

no its not a *new* feature, this also happens in 5 when you try to load a scene that has plugins inside that are not installed. They are actually referring to registry key entries and you could find out what was 'missing' by searching the key database for them numbers on the machine in which this file came from....

you can install the plugins or alternatively, if you have it set up, connect to the workgroup that v5.11 is pointing to, that way you share the same plugins.

toonafish
02-21-2007, 01:56 PM
Thanks Tekano.

there's no workgroup involved, just a fresh 6.0 install.

at least now I know how to find out what these numbers mean.

But it's veeeeery far from userfriendly. Who likes to search around in the registry to find out what these numbers mean.

JDex
02-21-2007, 04:22 PM
I've gotten in the habit of listing all the addons that I have used in a scene with a Annotation property... so if I open the scene on a different machine, I can open the plugin manager and addon manager and see what I need to install to get my scene working again.

CiaranM
02-21-2007, 04:37 PM
Well, if you still have 5.11 installed, then just look in the add-on and plug-in managers and see what is installed. Then, either copy them to a workgroup and have 6 connect to it, or manually re-install each item in 6.

dwigfor
02-21-2007, 05:07 PM
Toona - do yourself a favor and create a workgroup. I ran into the same problem when trying to load an old 5.11 scene into my brand new v6. After following Bernard's suggestion, it fixed the missing plugin problem, and now everything is organized much better. It makes backing up files easier, too, since they're all in a central location.

I believe it's under Plugin Manager/Workgroup, Create New, or something like that.. Then when you install plugins/shaders/addons, etc, make sure to point them to the workgroup. (Install xsiaddons manually, don't drag them onto a viewport-that installs them to the user directory).

Strang
02-21-2007, 10:09 PM
at least now I know how to find out what these numbers mean.

But it's veeeeery far from userfriendly. Who likes to search around in the registry to find out what these numbers mean.
please dont search you registry for these... xsi provides a method to figure out what these are.

using the FindObjects() command you can retrieve this information... look it up

one problem though. you need to be on a machine that can open the scene. cause the point is the machine doesn't have it :) so searching for something that isn't there isnt going to result in anything.

steven

toonafish
02-22-2007, 07:49 AM
one problem though. you need to be on a machine that can open the scene. cause the point is the machine doesn't have it :) so searching for something that isn't there isnt going to result in anything.

steven

lol !!

Thanks guys. Looks like I need to get organizized....

But I still think it would be better if XSI came up with sensible information and not a bunch of numbers.

bravmm
02-22-2007, 10:18 AM
I hear you...

I already posted this as a request twice, but so far no go.. It must be somewhere at the end of their list.
The most annoying thing is the fact that your rendertree is completely stripped to the base nodes, and everything containing a custom shader is killed so there's no way to find that custom shader in there :-(

But like everybody says, workgroups is the way to go.
JDex's tip is a good one, and what I also normally do is to add an extra folder to the project, where I put all my custom scripts and shaders. So when I archive the project I have everything that was used in one place. And with the correct version, as changes in shaders might render a different result.

Hope this helps,

rob

CGTalk Moderation
02-22-2007, 10:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.