PDA

View Full Version : Animation Challenge #5: Voting for Animation and Topic suggestions

SirRon
02-20-2007, 07:40 PM
Animators
khet13 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=4203896&postcount=2)
mandeep (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=4205857&postcount=3)
LGM (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=4205883&postcount=4)
Trazza (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=4206078&postcount=5)
Darken-R (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=4206452&postcount=6)
jpencilworks (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=4206593&postcount=7)
subdivmaniac (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=4207743&postcount=8)
SirRon (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=4208857&postcount=10)

Finished Animation Thread (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=135&t=464242)
edit: Can't start a poll so we'll do this manually.

Voting Rules:
-Vote for 3 animations that you like. If you're one of the animators, don't vote for yourself :)
-Sorry, no prizes.
-If there is a tie then we have more than one person to congratulate.
-Voting will end on February 26, 2007 and I'll announce the winner on the 27th.
-Anyone and everyone can vote!

Topic Suggestion:
This thread is also open to suggestions to expand the list (see next post)... Though it seems that the audio clip is very popular we'll keep two options open and one will always be an audio.
-Anyone and everyone can suggest a topic!

How do you like it so far? Are there any changes you'd like to see in the challenge? Is the time too long or short? We'd like to hear of any thoughts on how we can improve the format.
-Anyone and everyone can give feedback!

A big THANKS to everyone who contributed either by turning in an animation to even giving the animators critiques and encouraging comments.

-Anyone and everyone can ... oh wait, that's it :D

SirRon
02-20-2007, 07:51 PM
Here's what's been suggested so far.
Unused/New/Done

Loses at roulette
Exercise gone wrong
Chef cooks bad meat.
gets stomped or shot in the foot
sees attractive person, does a double take
given bouquet of flowers
their baby stroller rolls away too quickly to chase
clothes are torn off (like in cartoons, they have to cover themselves in that funny pose)
a guy loses a very important object
enjoying art
talking to the plants
giving orders
teaching
shopping
Ride (i,e, theme park... or anything for that matter..)
Emotion change ( change from one dramatic emotion to another)
Martial arts
gymnastics
peer pressure
classic lift
a moving walk, with a twist (i.e. not a cycle)
animate to a sound effects file (like gunfire or something)
russian roulette
waking up and walking outside naked
rooftop jumping/chase
Hot coffee (or tea if you prefer) gets spilled on the character.
Animate to your favorite movie line (10 Second Club where are you!?!)
Getting hit by a projectile like a ball or a bullet.
Making a difficult phone call.
Emotional or awkward stillness (just saw your pet get run over or walked into something embarrassing)
Change into a super hero out fit (think superman in phone booth)
Has rabies
Perform an athletic event
Nonhuman action (alien or monster performs an action)
A character shows affection to another character
Hiding from an oncoming threat
Finding the Master Sword
Solo SWAT action
Spying on an unsuspecting person
Idling
Animate to a song
Super Villian planning another nefarious scheme
Trying to cross a _very_ busy street
Annoying the still-as-a-rock Guard on duty
Pass the ball. (A ball comes in screen left, character plays around with it, then tosses it screen right. When you string all of the animations together it should look interesting)
Heres music and dances against own will
Talks to baby and gets distracted and yells

Since no one turned in (a guy loses a very important object) animation it will probably still be available next time.

oh, when you suggest a topic just type in single lines, no need for a <list> code. That way it'll be easier to copy and paste to our list.

SirRon
02-20-2007, 08:59 PM
Vote:
Trazza
jpencilworks
subdivmaniac

Topic Suggestion:
Temptation of an addiction (a smoker trying to quit sees a cigarette, etc.)

Live grenade toss around (like the 'pass a ball' suggestion but with a grenade)

'Back to basics' (Animation Mentor like bouncing ball assignments, but must show at least 3 animations for the duration of the challenge)

exitmusic19
02-20-2007, 09:44 PM
SirRon
Subdivmaniac
Trazza

Good work everyone Im looking forward to the next challenge.

jpencilworks
02-21-2007, 01:09 AM
Hello All,

First of all, this is great to be involved in. Thanks to the organizers, and everybody that participated.

Thoughts on the competition: I think that when the competition is launched the next time, there should definitely be no more than three choices of what to animate.

I think choice is nice, but I also don't see snything wrong with offering just one topic, and thats it.

If you offer more than one, I think the choices should include one dialog piece ( of no less than ten seconds, and no more than twenty.) I would like to see one extreem action chioce, or somthing that requires the character to display thinking, and/ or personality.

And the last piece I would recomend a change of emotion, in 100 frames or less, simply give the subject like 'lost somthing important' or 'pie in face', and require a frame counter, 100 frames or less.

I think 30 days is ample time to animate and enter the contest.

Vote:
Trazza
SirRon
subdivmaniac

Nice job people.

Cheers,

Jon

Trazza
02-21-2007, 07:37 AM
OK my vote is

SirRon
Jpencilworks
Subdivmaniac

Nice work guys. Looking forward to next comp.

Trav

subdivmaniac
02-21-2007, 10:41 AM
Hi,...

This is my vote :

SirRon
Trazza
Jpencilworks

Great job people!:) It's nice to know you all

Regards,

Henry

dudeacle
02-21-2007, 07:38 PM
Hi everyone, great work to everyone that participated.

Vote:

Trazza

SirRon

jpencilworks

Announcement:

The next challenge will also have two animations to choose from. I will choose a topic and an audio clip, and there will be a vote for the animation without the audio. You only have to animate one or the other but you can do both if you feel up to it.

SirRon and I are the unofficial moderators for the animation acting challenges. We are trying to get official competition status so until then we will have to do without the luxury of stickies. As SirRon said we greatly appreciate your comments on how to improve the competition.

If anyone would like to help with the challenges send Me or SirRon an email.

jpencilworks- I like your idea of only having three choices to choose from. I will use this for the next challenge. The next audio clip will be anywhere from 5 to 10 seconds. Remember your animation can be as long as you want, it does not have to be the length of the audio. I will keep your idea in mind about animating to a length of time like 100 frames. Is this something found in the games industry?

khet13
02-22-2007, 02:15 AM
here's my vote

Trazza
Subdivmaniac
SirRon

great work guys!
cant wait for the next challenge :)

LGM
02-22-2007, 02:55 AM
My vote would be

Trazza
SirRon
Mandeep

That was a fun contest! Good job to everyone who made it through.

LGM

Fede
02-22-2007, 04:51 AM
I liked

Trazza

kheth13

subdivmaniac

defenetly joining the next one

CuneytGuclu
02-22-2007, 07:54 AM
Trazza

jpencilworks

Darken-R

And for another challenge all subject good!

Amit_S
02-24-2007, 10:47 AM
Vote:
1st place: Mandeep
2nd place: Tie b/w Trazza and Jpencilworks.

About list of new topics:
I feel that there really should be only 1 topic- only 1 body motion clip or only 1 sound clip.

From the view point of a prospective competitor animating on only 1 topic will allow me to compare my work with others and see whether I've gone wrong/ what I could've done better. In that way everyone gets better.

From the viewpoint of a non-competetive voter -again its easier to compare everyones work and try and find out whats making the good animation look good. That way we kind of have an objective measurement system.

I'll vote for any one of these topics to be picked up for the next challenge:
*Martial arts
*gymnastics
*classic lift
*a moving walk, with a twist (i.e. not a cycle)
*Perform an athletic event
*'Back to basics' (Animation Mentor like bouncing ball assignments, but must show at least 3 animations for the duration of the challenge)

blurgh
02-27-2007, 08:44 AM
my votes are *drum roll*
Trazza

SirRon

jpencilworks

and for the topic *drum roll*

*live grenade toss (ball bieng passed) sounds like a laugh
*addiction temptation sounds fun too
*Change of emotion

dudeacle
02-27-2007, 02:40 PM
About list of new topics:
I feel that there really should be only 1 topic- only 1 body motion clip or only 1 sound clip.

From the view point of a prospective competitor animating on only 1 topic will allow me to compare my work with others and see whether I've gone wrong/ what I could've done better. In that way everyone gets better.

From the viewpoint of a non-competetive voter -again its easier to compare everyones work and try and find out whats making the good animation look good. That way we kind of have an objective measurement system.

Amit_S: I agree with what you are saying. Although the main reason we have two animation choices for the challenge is to allow more users to join in. Whats nice about animating to a non-audio topic is the freedom to not follow a path, and to animate in any direction you choose. And an audio topic is good because it gives you the chance to animate a main character that you would get working for a studio. Ideally there will be more than one entry in both topics, so you will be able to learn from someone who animated the same topic as you. If no one else animated the same topic as you be sure to ask many questions about your work (everyone likes to give c&c :) ).

Matt

SirRon
02-27-2007, 08:12 PM
And the WINNER is....

Trazza

Congrats Trazza, you won our first challenge with an audio clip.

:applause:

Fede
02-27-2007, 08:27 PM
Nice one Trazza! won't be so easy next time :twisted:

dudeacle
02-27-2007, 08:31 PM
Trazza you nailed it. Congrats!!

blurgh
02-27-2007, 09:28 PM
w000 congratz!

Trazza
02-27-2007, 11:01 PM
Aaah sweet. Thanks guys. That was good fun. There seems to be a bit more interest building in this one as well which is awesome. Looking forward to seeing what the next clip is and getting into it when i have a chance.

Thanks again.

Trav

synkipate
02-27-2007, 11:13 PM
yeah well done Trazza!

It would be great to see this 'session' grow, as what with the 10 sec club now somewhat defunct...I need to get my fix of animation challenges from somewhere!

Hurry up with the next challenge and let keep this ball rolling

jpencilworks
02-28-2007, 02:10 AM
Nice job Trazza!

Your work is inspiring bro, Looking forward to seeing more of it.

Congrats man.

Jon

khet13
02-28-2007, 02:18 AM
Congrats Trazza!
:thumbsup:

Amit_S
02-28-2007, 07:41 PM
Congrats man:thumbsup:

CuneytGuclu
03-01-2007, 10:24 AM
Congrats man

subdivmaniac
03-02-2007, 12:15 PM
Congratz Trazza!....

Great and inspiring work! :)

Henry

CGTalk Moderation
03-02-2007, 12:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.