PDA

View Full Version : Blurry texture. Unknown cause.

DragonslayerAz
02-20-2007, 07:18 AM
Hey y'all!

Once again, I have another issue that requires help from someone that's more knowledgeable than myself (someone that's willing to lend a helping hand, that is). Yet again. :D
This is a somewhat minor issue that's been bugging me for some time now.

I'm doing a product shot for a new Gatorade bottle, and I cannot get the texture to display with the resolution I'd be getting from a photograph. It looks good, but I'd like the small lettering on it to look even better (as in not a little blurred).
The texture (which I obtained from an .AI file) is a 2839*841 .TIFF file that has excellent resolution at a 3X (or 300%) zoom in Photoshop.

I've tried every trick up my sleeve. Removing the jitter sampling, changed between 'box', 'gauss' filtering, changed the multi-resolution texture setting to '0', boosted the anti-aliasing settings to 0/3. I even tried doing an HD format render and re-formatting the image to SD. All to no avail whatsoever.

Here's a low-res .jpeg of what I'm referring to, with the areas I'm interested on improving marked in red.

http://www.geocities.com/arielthi/Blurrytexturesexample.jpg

I hope there's a kind soul out there willing to help me out with this. :D

Thanks in advance,

- A.

P.S. I don't know whether posting an image (and openly referring to) a trademark requires me to post this, but.. I'll post it anyway.

The phrase "Thirst Quencher", all logos/imagerty and everything referring to Gatorade(tm) remain property of its trademark holder. Posted without permission.

Yes, I'm not much of a lawyer. XD

mindfreak
02-20-2007, 05:11 PM
maybe you change by accident the settings of the camera or maybe motion blur its turn on

edit : no me di cuenta que eras de mexico XD pero de todas formas el xsi es en ingles, sas si le encuentras al problema nos dices

Chris-TC
02-20-2007, 06:31 PM
I've tried every trick up my sleeve. Removing the jitter sampling, changed between 'box', 'gauss' filtering, changed the multi-resolution texture setting to '0', boosted the anti-aliasing settings to 0/3. I even tried doing an HD format render and re-formatting the image to SD. All to no avail whatsoever.

Here's a low-res .jpeg of what I'm referring to, with the areas I'm interested on improving marked in red.

http://www.geocities.com/arielthi/Blurrytexturesexample.jpg

You're not telling me that this is how the image came out in all cases?

First of all, don't use Gauss, it'll slightly blur your image. Try Mitchell with a small radius.
That alone of course does not explain the lack of detail in your image at all. If you rendered with 0/3, and the above image is what you got, then something must be wrong, probably with your texture file.

DragonslayerAz
02-20-2007, 07:16 PM
Chris-TC - Thank you for your reply. The image I posted here was part of a .jpeg file I enlarged (and painted on) through Photoshop for demonstration purposes as to the blurring of the small lettering on the label. Hence why I referred to it as low-res. =D

After consulting with a couple photographer friends, the problem appears to have been lying on the scene's default camera. By using a telephoto camera with a proper Field of View angle instead, the lettering has stopped looking blurry.
I've also done as you suggested and set Mitchell as the filter type. It looks even better, even if I sticked with a 3 value for the filter's size, since the use of lower values result in a pixelated render.

mindfreak - Thank you for your input. The scene doesn't have motion blur, nor did I tamper with the camera's settings prior to replacing it for a telephoto camera.

Thank you both!

- A.

CGTalk Moderation
02-20-2007, 07:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.