PDA

View Full Version : How can we mirror animation in Motionbuilder

FurkanWahab
02-19-2007, 09:14 AM
Can anyone tell me how to flip ( mirror ) animation of one foot to the other , for example i have a character who jumps after a short run and i want that my character keeps jumping but i have mocap of only one foot and i want to shift its animation to the other foot how can we do that?, plzz help me

waiting :-(

Anssi
02-19-2007, 10:24 AM
Hi,
you can reverse the animation from Navigator/your_character/character controls/solving/mirror animation, then you can replot it to a new clip and mix with the unmirrored one.
Anssi

FurkanWahab
02-19-2007, 11:49 AM
thanks for replying, first of all i m using motion builder 7.5 version, but the problem is that i couldnt find the option of mirror animation beneath of SOLVING option rather its under the GENERAL option could u plz explain me in detail.

Anssi
02-19-2007, 02:27 PM
Hi,
I am using MB 6.0.1, but it should be somewhere under Character settings. Check out the attached picture. Let me know if you have any further problems I'll be back online tomorrow.
Anssi

FurkanWahab
02-19-2007, 03:10 PM
Hi again

and i m using MB 7.5 but the mirror option is in the character's general option u can check out the attached picture ,and i used the mirror option but the whole animation was mirrored which i dont want , is it possible that i use mirror option on my half animation ?

bclark
02-20-2007, 01:49 AM
Hi again

and i m using MB 7.5 but the mirror option is in the character's general option u can check out the attached picture ,and i used the mirror option but the whole animation was mirrored which i dont want , is it possible that i use mirror option on my half animation ?

You can make a new take, mirror the data and plot it to the new take.. then just copy the keys for the mirrored part and paste it back on the first take.

or you could mirror the data and make a clip of it in story and then blend the two moves in the story tool.

Anssi
02-20-2007, 06:24 AM
Yep,
as bclark said mirror and plot the animation to the new take. Import the unmirrored clip into your character track in Story, make subtrack (override) import mirrored clip into that and choose the bodyparts you want that track to use.
Anssi

FurkanWahab
02-20-2007, 10:06 AM
heloo

well bclark , Anssi its quite complicated to me , could you plz explain me in step by step, because i m not so dab hand in motion builder :-(

FurkanWahab
02-21-2007, 02:31 PM
Heloooooooooooo

Is anyone there ? --------------------------------- :scream: :sad:

Anssi
02-21-2007, 02:47 PM
Hi,
off the work...
How are you retargeting the original motion, from animated skeleton or are you using story?
Can you give a short description on the workflow you are using and the original motion file?
Anssi

FurkanWahab
02-21-2007, 07:34 PM
well my workflow is

1) make a model and rig in Maya.
2) import in to motion builder.
3) characterized .
4) use story for animation.
5) drag the animation from Asset Brwoser / Templates / gobo / General / Super Hero.
6) plot the animation for manual key framing.
7) make new layer.
8) add some manual Keys.
9) Plot the Character from the Navigator option.
10) save in Fbx formate.
11) import in to Maya again.

Anssi
02-22-2007, 07:02 AM
Hi,
once you have plotted the first unmirrored clip to your rig create a new take and plot another clip with the mirror animation button pressed. Create a character track and right click to bring take1 (unmirrored) to the track, now create override sudtrack, choose take2 and bring that to the subtrack. For the subtrack choose just the lower body or just the foot you want that track to have influence on. Move the mirrored clip to match the timing of the original animation. Then process the whole scene back to your rig and exit story mode.
Hope these tips get a step forward,
good luck,
Anssi

FurkanWahab
02-24-2007, 11:22 AM
heloo

i tried as u explained but its not working :-( because i m using MB 7.5 version and u r using MB 6.5 thats why i m not able to send u the MB file , could u plz explain me step by step if its possible :-)

thanks in advanced :-)

Anssi
02-26-2007, 08:04 AM
Hi,
if you mail me the file I could try converting it with FBX converter and take a look at it. It is a bit easier to break the problem in pieces when you actually see it.
Anssi

FurkanWahab
02-26-2007, 04:54 PM
hi anssi

actually its not a particular file u can test on MB's default characters aswell, u already know that obviously. ok wht i want is .....

1) open any character.
2) characterized the character.
3) drag H_RunJump clip in to story from Generic/SuperHero section.
4) when u import the clip u'll see your character jumps after run .

When my character jump and run i need its loop but not the same , means first my character run then jump by his right leg then run again, after run he jump again but this time he jump by his left leg how its possible i hope u got my point

FurkanWahab
02-26-2007, 05:22 PM
hi anssi

Actually its not a particular file u can do on MB's default characters aswell , obviously u already know that :-)

ok wht i want is

1) open any character.
2) characterized it.
3) drag H_RunJump clip in to story from Generic/SUPERHERO section.

when u drag the clip u'll see ur character is running and jumping but i need its loop but not the same , means first thecharacter run and jump by his right leg and run again but when he jump again this time he jump by his left leg :-( i hope u got my point how its possible :-/

Anssi
02-27-2007, 06:34 AM
4) press mirror animation from character settings (it should turn the run to other direction)
5) in Story right click on the track (left side) it gives option Process tracks/subtracks to a new clip ...save it and name it run2jump mirrored...and you should have to Char tracks
6) turn the mirror animation off
7) cut the new processed / mirrored clip to the first Char track or drag it from asset browser and delete the Char track one
8) change the view mode to x-ray and press the eye icon to view ghosting
9) match the clips in time and space (use match object for precision)
10) use subtracks to fix / alter the animation if needed
11) plot the whole animation to rig / skeleton

Million ways to do it here is one,
good luck,
Anssi

FurkanWahab
02-27-2007, 02:34 PM
heloooooooooo anssi

Thanks alot now its working properly :applause:

thanks once again :)

Anssi
02-28-2007, 08:52 AM
No problem,
Anssi

CGTalk Moderation
02-28-2007, 08:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.