PDA

View Full Version : Clothed Game Character Modeling Tips

Archvilell
02-19-2007, 03:31 AM
Hey guys,

I'm working on a gmae with a friend and I'm working on modeling the player model. I'm having some theory issues on the topology flow for his chest/shoulder area. Everyone I know says that I should make the wireframe flow to follow the muscles for the best deformations in animation. I totally agree; I have seen the difference and it's amazing. However, my character will be wearing a winter Carhart coat

http://www.deeregear.com/images/products/ACF2D26.jpg
(found this picture of some random guy through Google images - the coat is what I'm after)

I'm having trouble deciding how the polygons will be laid out if the lapels and collar of the coat are going to be modeled on. Every tutorial I've seen assumes I'm modeling nude people (which is ridiculous, clothed people are much more practical, at least in games), and so they stress following the muscles. Any ideas on how to lay out the polys for the lapels, unzipped edges and collar?

Thanks in advance,

Ben Day

palante
02-20-2007, 01:27 AM
Man you want to make the details of coat in your 3d model for games? ??

If Yes.. i say its not much expensive because you gonna take much polygons and bad edges style for make the skin..

I think the bests things to do is do the details in painting ( in UVW )

Or in new generation take a normal map in zbrush or mudbox..

Well i not a expert.. but i make curses to animation to games.. i'm not good modeler.. but a medium animator..

Well.. i Wish your success..

Archvilell
02-20-2007, 01:45 AM
The lapels and collar are pretty noticable in our game since his jacket will be unzipped (they will stick out further), and we're going for a high-end graphics look, so we're planning to include them, maybe even animate them moving around a bit.

I am still completely stumped as to how to do this. I'm thinking I could model the deltoid area ideally, but the zipper and lapels would jut out from the model, and the chest area inside would be modeled ideally. In other words, the jutting of the jacket edge would just disturb the edge flow, but where it would deform would be correct.

Has anyone else had this problem? There has to be other video game characters with their jackets unzipped.

Ben Day

CGTalk Moderation
02-20-2007, 01:45 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.