PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Demo Reel - Patrick Switzer

pswitzer
02-18-2007, 11:54 PM
Hi, my name is Patrick Switzer, I recently finished up the 3D Animation & Visual Effects program over at Lost Boys Learning (http://www.lostboys-learning.com).

It was an incredibly fantastic experience there and I'm really happy to be able to share with you all the results of my time there.

Please have a look at my Demo Reel and check out my website (http://www.switzer3d.com) to view the gallery and for more information about me.

http://www.switzer3d.com/images/reelBanner.jpg

Downloads:

Hi Res
60MB RAR | download (http://www.switzer3d.com/movies/psReel_HI.rar)
Quicktime 7

Lo Res
25MB Streaming | download (http://www.switzer3d.com/reelLow.html)
Quicktime 7

We'll see how the site handles traffic, bare with me if it goes down, I'll try and get a you tube version going.

Booyah
02-19-2007, 02:50 AM
Your reel really looks great, love the textures and models. Two things that could be approved on would be sound and character poses. The music made me feel like I was in a dance hall feeling groovy, and your characters don't come off as feeling groovy. Sound is very important because it gives the viewer the FEEL of what's going on and should not be taken lightly, I would try and find something that really expresses your characters more so than yourself. Also, the arms out pose is great to model in but having the character stand in a pose that really makes them feel like they exist and have purpose would better present the idea that these characters are real and give it that extra detail to set you apart.

jfalgout
02-19-2007, 04:36 PM
Its a good reel, no doubt. But, it seems to me the skill to paint the textures stood out more than the skill it took to make the models (specifically the beatle). I like how you showed your maps, that was a nice touch. I'd have to disagree with the sound/music comment above, as most demo reel showings have the sound off. Nice stuff all around though.

pswitzer
02-19-2007, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys! Much appreciated.

Booyah: Thanks! I would have loved to have posed those characters, really. And if I get the time I definately will. When it came down to the end I decided I'd rather spend the time to polish the models/textures just a little bit more rather than work on a rig that may or may not work appropriately. For now I don't think I'll be looking for work as a rigger. But I totally agree that they look rather drab, just had to let that one slide for version 1.0 though :(

jfalgout: Cheers! My ultimate goal is not to just be a modeler, but do modeling, texturing, shaders, lighting/rendering (the latter 3 really go hand in hand), so I hope that the texturing has some weight, though I didn't intend for it to overpower the modeling if it did for you. The main reason for showcasing the beetle was the shader work, there's actually very little in the way of texture maps on him (bump mainly).

I didn't do a lot of really high multi million poly displacement sculpts for this reel (only the mosasaur has any displacement) which I know is the trend these days :) Next project!

Also, there's a little easter egg during the beetle sequence. It's subtle :)

mbenard
02-20-2007, 04:13 PM
Hey Patrick,

Great to see your work finally seeing the light of day!

It was a pleasure having you in my flagship class of superstar students. We covered a lot of ground over the past year, I'm proud to see how far everyone progressed.

Of course, you know I want you to show more more more! I would love to see a secondary edit that includes all your work in one big juicy montage! :buttrock: So many other beautiful projects that haven't made it onto your site yet...

...I'm sure you're working on that right now. ;)

And yeah, posing is nice but in production we don't have time for such extravagances so it's safe to say that any sophisticated viewer (ie. employer) will most likely forgive you for your sins! You're doing the right thing by moving onto producing another character model with your free time.

Maybe you could post up the still of your Chaos Orc that you did for the Blizzard Art contest? If you don't -- I will!

You're one of the golden few that can be so creative yet so disciplined at the same time.

Any Producer will be lucky to have you on their team!

Cheers,

M

CHAMPWY
02-20-2007, 08:01 PM
Nice man! Everything was combined together very nicely! :thumbsup:

I agree with the posing of characters issue. It would be greater in a natural pose. Good Luck! :thumbsup:

virtu-alex
02-21-2007, 05:40 PM
Congratulations man!

It's cool to see that you finally posted your reel :thumbsup: .

I agree with Mark that you should post your Chaos Orc still as well as some stills from the insect shot, spoon project, london, just to name a few.
I'm sure that many companies would like to have a multi-skilled guy like you in their work team and show that you are not just good in modeling.

Good luck and see ya around and thanks for your help! (now my reel will be better than yours... ha ha ha :twisted: )

Dakoy
02-21-2007, 06:21 PM
Hey Patrick,:eek:

Most say I love the demo reel.:love: You are a very talented and skilled modeler and congratulations on the honorable mentions for the "fire of chaos":applause: . It was a priviledge getting to know you and working along side of you:wip: . I had some stressful times:banghead: with my models but you always had time to help me. Your my BFG (big friendly giant). I agree with MB that any producer or director will be lucky to have you on their team.
Best of luck:beer: and let me know of any new creations you conjure up.:lightbulb

Dalen :thumbsup:

Phantom-vfx
02-22-2007, 07:20 AM
Bravo !!! :applause:

Hey Patricio !!! Hows it going ?

AWESOME REEL , Congrats !!!

Nice models , Awesome shaders and textures.

nice www too.

Funky groovy music he ! I know some reels are without sound, but since u put sound ... I agree with the Booyah coment.
but u know im kind a melomaniac.

And btw , Thanks for you help in some of my school work !! was very nice see how u work ( very fast !!! )

and I hope u find the job u are looking.

cu later !!!

Punk642001
02-23-2007, 10:17 PM
Hey nice reel y dont you have a job yet james has a job hurry up wuts the use in having all your skill if you dont even have a job god

pswitzer
02-24-2007, 03:38 AM
Thanks guys, appreciate the support!

Haha TJ, it might have to do with the fact that I'm completely crippled right now. Glad to know you're rooting for me! :P

mbenard
02-27-2007, 03:40 AM
"Completely crippled?"

Awww, poohr beh beh!

Hah, you'd better be exploring your rigging skills... If I find out your taking a "holiday" we are going to hunt you down and school you some more!

Seriously, if you're still chilling in town be sure to swing by the studio now and again. The crew is just wrapping up their Insect Projects this week. Good time to come in and break some hearts with your brutally honest crits.

Don't be a stranger.

M

BTW: Alex thinks you should post more stills up here for all the kids that don't have time to check out your site.

poshin
02-28-2007, 05:08 AM
crippled?? Sounds like an excuse, Patrick.
Work hard!! Can't wait to see your new works.

bluesoldier11
02-28-2007, 09:19 PM
Wow dude, very nice reel! The texturing is amazing...the modelling is amazing...and personally, I like the music too. It's all cool, but I do agree about the posing. And if you plan on doing it, I'd love to see these characters animated :D May just be wishful thinking, but even a loop of a character breathing would please my animation craving :bounce: Awesome reel man, you've got skills and I wish you the best. :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
02-28-2007, 09:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.